YoM Day 91: working happiness

Yesterday, I talked about dedicating your life to something. Today is a new day.
"Happiness comes when your work and words are of benefit to yourself and others." - The Buddha
Humans are social creatures. It's in our nature to socialize with one another and work together. Although we're capable of working alone, too much isolation eventually has negative effects on us. We need a balance of both. One reason why I like being a teacher is because it provides me with that balance. I generally spend a lot of time by myself (working on these posts, art, piano, going to the gym, etc.), so talking with students and other teachers at work provides me with the social interaction I need to not go insane from isolation.

Everyone feels good when their efforts are validated. Validation alone isn't what drives most people, but it's still nice to know that what we're doing is actually helpful. When we feel like nothing we do matters we often become depressed, so we have an innate desire to be useful in some way. In a way, the validation we get from others serves as a guide telling us that if we continue down this path we are sure to move more and more people along the way.

One of the best feelings I get is when my work benefits other people in some way, whether it's inspirational or it brings value to others. I had one of my students thank me the other day (just out of the blue) and it made me feel really happy knowing that my students not only don't hate me, but they appreciate the efforts I'm making to teach them. Whenever someone tells me that my art is beautiful and that it inspires them I feel like I was able to make my own contribution to the world. It makes me happy.

The same is true with our words. The main way we communicate with each other is through words and expressions, so when people want to talk to us, hang out, and see us, it shows that who we are matters in some way. It's proof that we are significant enough to matter to other people. Someone thinking about us or going out of their way to engage with us is something I think many, including myself, sometimes take for granted. Even though I live in an urban area and pass by thousands of people on a daily basis, I often feel a sense of loneliness and alienation from everyone around me. With so many people around, how is it anyone can feel lonely? There are many reasons, but even having only one friend in a world of 7+ billion people is something amazing. 

                                                                                                                         Peace
People
Motivated perhaps by faith, the inspiration his hard work instills in others will help guide him to create more.

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: recall times in your life when your work and words benefited you and others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment