YoM Day 90: dedication

Yesterday, I talked about knowing the self. Today is a new day.
"The most important things in life are to work and to love." - Nora Zeal Hurston
Being able to work is a sign of the skills you've developed throughout your life. When you work, you're putting in energy toward something that will benefit others (or yourself). You're making an investment with your time and abilities. That's what most people tend to do in their job. The higher the value your skills are to other people the more you tend to make. However, you'll never receive any benefits for being the most skilled at anything if you don't put in any work.

Putting your soul into everything you do is just as important (if not more essential). The difference between a good musician and a brilliant one is passion. When you put your heart and soul into your music what comes out is something that's truly unique. Something that's genuine. It shines so brightly with your essence that others end up taking notice. This applies to everything in life.

If you put in your soul (love) in your work, people take notice. A person with no soul just does their job in the most minimal way. They never go beyond expectations. They don't give a shit. The ones with a true drive for excellence give it their all and the amount of quality effort that goes in is worlds apart. It's like seeing a performance done by someone who practiced once compared to the same performance done by someone who practiced for hours every day. They're be completely different. Which do you think would be more worth watching?

Our lives reflect how we live them, too. The way I see it, how we do anything is how we do everything. In the same way that a half-assed report isn't going to be that great compared to one that had hours of hard work poured into it, the level of success we have in life depends on how much work we're willing to put into making our dreams a reality. If you go about coasting through life there's no way you're going to suddenly become rich, marry the "perfect" person, and live happily-ever-after. Nothing can worthwhile is gained from having done nothing to earn it.

I used to play video games all day when I was younger and as a result my grades were average, I missed out on a lot of opportunities, and I felt like I wasn't really going anywhere. I felt lost. Since I've put more effort into improving myself I've come to find that the world has opened up so much for me as I've continued to increase my knowledge and skills. To me, dedicating everything to your work (not just your job, but your life at home, too) is the secret to growth.

It's all about taking action and translating your discipline into results.

                                                                                                                       Peace
Soul in work
Dedication is putting your soul into something and working hard.

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: what's most important in life to you? How does it shape your life?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment