YoM Day 114: wonder reignited

Yesterday, I talked about letting loose and being free. Today is a new day.
"If I had influence with the good fairy who is supposed to preside over the christening of all children, I should ask that her gift to each child in the world be a sense of wonder so indestructible that it would last throughout life." - Rachel Carson
One of the biggest differences I notice between the children and adults I teach is their sense of curiosity and fascination with everything. Kids, especially the younger ones want to know about everything. There's a certain spark in their eyes that's generally lacking in adults.

As we grow up we often get used to the things around us and the world can lose its wonder as we learn more about it. We have to worry about getting a job, paying our bills, and managing our time wisely so we don't regret our actions in the future. The game of life isn't so fun when everything becomes a responsibility.

In Japan, reputation is everything. Your reputation is essentially your social status. The best way to get a reputation is to have good performance on tests. In elementary school they don't take a single exam until about 5th grade. From there, their future career rests on how well they do in school for the next 6 years. It's essentially a game of mental genetics. Those who are good at studying tend to perform better and thus are better able to manage the pressure of the absurd expectations placed on them. The rest are left in the dust against against what seems like a stacked deck in life.

I can see it in their eyes that they just wanna have fun, but as they approach adulthood their need to succeed grows and they either try to climb the ladder or give up completely. The eyes that once had a certain glimmer slowly lose color as the grind to the real world continues. Because they've spent most of their time cramming for exams it's easy for them to lose their sense of self and it's something that I feel eats away at their souls as they get older. The things they do in their free time become escapes rather than leisurely enjoyment.

I can definitely relate with them, too, as college in America was very much a grind-fest for me. I remember spending hours studying for exams and cramming all of the reading materials every night so I could get my assignments done on time. It was miserable and made life lackluster. One thing that helped reignite my sense of adventure was hiking. Each trail I'd traverse would provide me with new sights to see. Sure, I'd see a lot of rocks and trees, but how they were formed, the lighting of the area, and the general atmosphere would always provide a fresh perspective on the hobby. The physical aspect of hiking also keeps it engaging. It's a great form of meditation that I recommend to anyone.

As I've gone from one trail to the next, my curiosity for how other parts of the world increased and I noticed that the world started looking more colorful. Now I notice the subtle differences in the shades of green in trees. I notice wildlife all around me as I go exploring. I've seen that the world has so much to offer that I've yet to see and it's made me want to see all of the different sights with my own eyes.

The world is a beautiful place and there are wonder that we've yet to explore. Once we begin to see how much there really is to see that sense of adventure can't help but be curious. It's that curiosity, I think, that makes life more fun.

                                                                                                                        Peace
Wonder
You're never too old to just stop and stare at magnificence.

Comments

  1. How is your sense of wonder? Has it changed since you were young?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment