YoM Day 100: leaving something authentic

Yesterday, I talked about balancing giving and receiving in life. Today is a new day.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
In business, innovation is often held in high regard as something that will create the next generation of products (and a lot of revenue). Success is often seen as a long and lonely road to walk down. Being at the top is where there are the least people and it's also where it's most quiet. The people who follow the bandwagon generally stay behind. The same is true with innovation. Businesses are constantly coming up with new ideas in order to one-up the competition. However, although some of them are amazing the vast majority of them are just following the bandwagon (tablets, smartphones, etc. that are all basically the same) to gain their success.

What separates the top from the rest of the pack is coming up with something truly new and inspiring. By walking down the same path as those who came before us, we're trying to take the "easy route" to success. It's been done before, so it's sure to succeed again, yes? Well, chances are others are also trying to recreate the same success, so the added competition makes it harder to truly succeed at what someone has already done. A copy is only that, a copy. It can never surpass the original because it lacks the heart and soul that made the original successful in the first place. It's why all of these knock-off products tend to suck. They're just there for the money.

When we create our own path we create something that's our own. That something cannot be imitated because there is only one you. I think that by creating something only you can create means leaving behind a part of you in your work. One way I plan on doing that is being genuine to myself. What do I want to do? Where do I want to be in 5 years? 10 years? Thinking about these things helps me focus on what I want to do with my life. The more I think the more clear the path becomes. I plan to continue writing this blog every day to finish this year of mindfulness. After that, I plan to focus more on my art. Somewhere along the way I also want to make videos talking about life, Japan, my art, and etc. What's important to me is that I leave behind something that's a part of me. I want to leave behind something authentic.

Consider where you'd like to blaze a trail in your life. 

                                                                                                                        Peace
Tetsugaku no michi
Me enjoying a walk down Kyoto's philosopher's road during the springtime.

Comments

  1. Today marks my 100th day of practicing mindfulness! THANK YOU for taking the time to be a part of this journey and I look forward to the adventures that lie ahead. To celebrate, I've decided to make things more personal by letting you see who I am.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment