YoM Day 82: neglect

Yesterday, I talked about showing our appreciation for the things we have. Today is a new day.
"Self-love is not so vile a sin as self-neglecting." - William Shakespeare
These last few days I've been neglecting my weight training. I've been pretty stressed out from work, I have a million projects I want to work on, and my overall motivation's been down. One big aspect of my health is my physical state and I can feel the effects on my body. Although it's nice not being sore, my energy levels have gone down. It's like when you sleep too long, your body feels drowsy and dull.

One huge movement that's been trending is self-love and acceptance, which is fantastic! HOWEVER, there are some people who take this theme and use it as a means of escaping their responsibilities to themselves. One common example is taking care of your body. We're born into this world with one body and that's the only means in which we can interact with this world. It is the vessel in which we experience life, yet so many people treat it like shit. Why?

Whether it's smoking cancer sticks, substance or alcohol abuse, a horribly imbalanced diet, a lack of any physical fitness, never challenging the self to grow mentally, intentionally inflicting harm to the self, or living a lifestyle that's generally abusive to the health, there are people who lie to neglect themselves, which only serves to bring them down. Our bodies are like rocks. If neglected, we become dull and lifeless. Yet when polished, can shine brighter than any diamond.

Being sad can be a funny thing. We're rationally irrational. We know exactly what we should be doing, yet we just forget to take care of ourselves when it really matters. I know that working out helps boost my energy, makes me feel better, and is relaxing (well, the post-workout stretching and bath is). Yet despite knowing this my monkey brain is like, "Nah, dude" and I end up slacking.

What's funny is that once I take that first step to getting out of this "funk" my mentality will change according to my actions. Once we take steps toward treating ourselves better, the world around us will also change. Instead of sulking and distracting myself with a million projects, I also need to take time for myself so I can find the right balance of work and leisure.

I have some free time before work today, so I'll get in a nice workout to help bring me back into my A-game.

                                                                                                                   Peace
Neglect
Our treasures aren't meant to be neglected

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: set aside some time to take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment