YoM Day 79: Scrooged

Yesterday, I talked about learning to love and accept the self. Today is a new day.
"I learned long ago that those who are the happiest are those who do the most for others." - Booker T. Washington
My grandparents, who grew up in hard times manage to be positive despite their old age and health because they keep doing things to help out their community. My grandma does volunteer work and my grandfather (now unable to do much) used to be part of the neighborhood watch committee. They actively do their best to give back to their community and it brings them joy. Seeing them has inspired me in a lot of ways.

One of my favorite Christmas movies as a child was Mickey's Christmas Carol. When I think of unhappy people Scrooge is the cliche example of the ideology that being unhappy is a result of being unkind to others. This idea is heavily rooted in Western culture, yet the world is so full of Scrooge's who care only about their own personal gain and not at all toward others. In the same way that Crachit's selfless kindness let him live happily despite his living conditions, money and fame don't always make your life happy. There are countless celebrities to attribute this lesson to.

In the same way, sharing my art and my thoughts to others brings me joy, especially when people tell me I've helped them out in some way. At times it's really hard for me, too. Sometimes I'm tired, sometimes I feel down, and other times I might just be in a foul mood. Every time I come home after spending time with others though I end up being thankful that I shared a moment with them. I'm thankful that people wanted to share their time with me.

Perhaps it's cultural conditioning that has made me this way, but as I'm learning to let go of my selfishness I've come to see how much giving to others (in my own way) has enriched my life and kept me sane in this crazy world. In the same way Scrooge's change of heart had helped him see the joy in being kind and doing things for others, it's helped me find peace of mind.

Or maybe Disney's coorporate evil ways have successfully brainwashed my monkey brain and I'm doing exactly what they want me to?

                                                                                                                     Peace
Don't be a Scrooge
Don't do it. Don't be a Scrooge.

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: look to see what gets between you and that happiness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment