YoM Day 71: love and learn

Yesterday, I talked about letting our actions speak for themselves. Today is a new day.
"Love the animals, love the plants, love everything. If you love everything, you will perceive the diving mystery in things. Once you perceive it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day. And you will come to last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love." -  Fyodor Dostoyevsky
So today is Mother's Day in the States and it was Mother's Day yesterday here in Sushi Land. Being a time-lord can be a bit confusing sometimes. I digress. I skyped my mom and talked about life, my plans, and other randomness. It wasn't much, but it was a simple act of love between mother and child.

Learning to love people is something that is so simple, yet very difficult to do sometimes. To me, it means learning to accept everyone and look past their flaws. I think accepting someone despite their flaws is the ultimate sign that you recognize their humanity. Nobody is perfect after all. When we're able to accept others for their flaws I think things come full-circle and it helps us love and accept ourselves, too. I have a lot of insecurities about myself. We all do. As I've worked toward being more open-minded and accepting of others I've found that it's become easier to get over my own flaws.

I also think that how we treat others is a reflection of ourselves. I like to people watch and one thing I've noticed is that people who are mean and negative tend to (but now always) also treat themselves pretty poorly and seem to look miserable. A reoccurring example I see is how people talk about others. The people who tend to ridicule, judge, and scoff at those they don't agree with also tend to look the most miserable to me. I see their own insecurities being projected through harsh comments as brief escapes from sadness, loneliness, etc. It's like the child that throws a tantrum because things didn't go the way they wanted.

In the words of Lupe Fiasco, "Love is: looking over various errors. Hate is: habitually accelerating terror". One reason I'm practicing mindfulness is because I feel like I was one of these people and I don't want to be a grouch for the rest of my life. I used to be afraid of letting the world see my flaws, but by loving the world around me, I'm overcoming those fears and embracing who I am. By doing so, I've been able to see things to appreciate everything more with each passing day.

                                                                                                                            Peace

Balloons
We love and learn

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: pick something to love with full conscious awareness. If you can't decide, try loving yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment