YoM Day 69: Balance of Self-realization

Yesterday, I talked about doing things because you can. Today is a new day.
"A friend once inquired if Gandhi's aim in settling in the village and serving the villagers as best he could was purely humanitarian. Ganhi replied, 'I am here to serve no one else but myself, to find my own self-realization through the service of these village folk." - Cheri Huber
The feeling of obligation and duty are powerful motivators that has made some dedicate their entire lives to a cause they've placed value in. Some people are moved by altruism, some by hatred, others by the desire to be remembered. We all have our own motivations for doing things.

One thing that tends to separate people who are happy and those who aren't is being self-driven. Their motivation is the self and they move according to how they want to move, not dictated by others. Most people don't like being told what to do all of the time. It's much more fun to do things on our own accord rather than being regulated 100% of the time.

Although Gandhi was a pacifist, he was someone who didn't yield to others. He did things his way, which is what attracted people to his cause. They recognized his strength and resolve in sticking to his path. In doing so, I think he was free. It is one of my personal pursuits to never bow down to others when my own interests are on the line.

I've also found that in doing things for others, not because I should but when I genuinely want to, I not only feel more fulfilled, but when reflecting on these moments I've realized that I learn so much about myself when I'm with others. Being alone is good for self-reflection, no doubt, but it has its limits. Self-reflection is like studying, while going out and being with others is like putting your skills to the test. I think Gandhi saw this and helped others not only because it would benefit others, but because he too would gain from it. He struck a good balance between altruism and self-gratification.

I think the key to success, or in Gandhi's eyes self-realization, is finding that balance between helping yourself and others.
 
                                                                                                                       Peace
Balance
Balance in all things

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: think about things you'd like to do for others. How might these experiences help you achieve a more self-realized state?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment