YoM Day 67: The time we spend

Yesterday, I talked about taking the time to invest in yourself. Today is a new day.
"Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save." Will Rogers
The modern world has become so obsessed with retaining youth. In Japan, the amount of beauty products out there is insane. On sunny days, I see women go outside wearing custom visors to prevent the sunlight from hitting their skin. It's crazy, they're like modern vampires. The pressure to get married and have children before 30 is high and the thought of getting "old" haunts many, as if they're "running out of time". It's the same reason why so many young people tend to rush into things and make rash decisions. Even though I've mellowed out a bit, I still lack patience and have the sense that I have to get things done soon and if I don't I'll regret it. I can start feeling myself losing my edge, which further adds to the sense that I'm "running out of time".

However, I've also started to appreciate getting older. I'm slowly accepting the fact that I won't live forever and that I have so much that I can still do with the time I have left. The more I go about doing my thing the more I realize that there's no need to rush things, which conflicts with my rashness. It's weird, but getting older has been a long lesson in patience. Being really young was fun while it lasted (and technically I'm still fairly young now), but life's so much more than that. Being an adult also has plenty of benefits (like grabbin' drinks with friends), too.

I've gone from thinking about trying to accomplish all of my dreams now before it's too late, to learning to take things at my own pace. I'm also learning to stop and take a breather every once in a while. Every day has its lessons to offer, but there's no need to go hard every single day. In every practice, be it fitness, dieting, or learning, taking things steadily can often be crucial to success. As the old story tells, "slow and steady wins the race".

Some of the best things in life come unexpectedly, so there's no need to always search for answers. We have plenty of time to sort that out, so it's important to enjoy living in the moment while we can.

                                                                                                                         Peace
Time is ticking
Time will keep on ticking forever, but you can only enjoy your life now.

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: each time you find yourself rushing to save time, stop, take a long deep breath, and appreciate what's going on around you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment