YoM Day 55: Engaging the World

Yesterday, I talked about how life is how we make it. Today is a new day.
"We cannot choose WHETHER to engage with the world, only HOW to." - Stephen Batchelor
We're stuck in this ride called life until the very end. Even if we end up comatose for decades, we're still capable of being aware of our own surroundings. In our dreams we still experience something similar to what we experience in the real world (we see, think, feel, etc.) The circumstances may change, but the world is something that will go on with or without us. We can choose to try avoiding it or face it head-on.

Today I decided to go out for a run without my eyes today. My vision is bad. Real bad. I've had glasses for the vast majority of my life and it's gotten to the point where I can't make out people's faces without my glasses/contacts on unless I'm uncomfortably close to them. So I have to put on my eyes every morning if I want to do anything.

I grew up afraid that my vision would continue to get worse yet all I've done is upgrade to stronger pairs of lenses to "fix" my problem and take supplements that promoted good visual prowess. Naturally, such things won't fix anything, they're just temporary solutions. I thought about how that's affected my life: I've tried avoiding things that are too strenuous on the eyes, I've tried keeping good hygiene to avoid getting filaments in my eyes that could potentially damage them more, and all I've really done is miss out on things like doing wrestling and delay the inevitable (my eyes still got worse).

That's how I've approached interacting with the world until now. I've been too dependent on my vision and the more it's continued to degrade the more I've come to place value in it. Not so different from an addiction, I think. 

I thought about how I'm training my body to be stronger and I've even trained my other senses so that I don't need to rely solely on my vision. This morning I figured I could do the same with my eyes and see if I could train them to see without my glasses. I don't know why I've really tried doing that before, but the experience left me thinking that I could actually improve my vision by training my eyes instead of letting tools like glasses do the work for me. To my surprise, I actually felt like I could see the world clearly, but it was a different kind of clarity. My other senses were working overtime to compensate for the lost vision and I felt like I was perfectly fine (though I don't plan to go to work like that any time soon).

I may have trash-tier vision, but it shouldn't stop me from going out and enjoying nature. I don't want my bad eyes to influence how I go about deciding on what I want to do. Instead, I want to face this world without hesitation or regrets. This means overcoming my weaknesses and not letting them hold me back.

                                                                                                                        Peace
Overcome obstacles
Fear is your greatest obstacle

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: Examine at how you engage with the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment