YoM Day 53: Stopping for happiness

Yesterday,  I talked about having the humility to grow wiser. Today is a new day.
"You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life." - Albert Camus
The meaning of life is something we've searched for since the dawn of man. We all like the idea that we have some purpose for being here. Life can always be better and we're conditioned to always see how things could improve. There's always something else that we think can make us happier. Yet in the endless search for something that may not even exist, we often forget to examine what we already have. 

I was sipping on some green tea last night while doing some reflective writing and I realized how although it'd be nice to make more money, have a bigger place, and be able to do whatever I wanted without any worry for the consequences, my life as is already filled with fortune and amazement. I have a roof over my head, I'm not living paycheck to paycheck, I'm well-fed, and I have a stable job that enables me to live this lifestyle. I'm pretty free. I'm not rich, but I live comfortably. Rather than searching for something greater, why would I not focus on seeing how privileged a lifestyle I already have?

Being able to acknowledge this is something that has humbled me and has helped me see all of the happiness I already have. Compared to most of the world, who am I to ask for more? I already have a good, healthy life. Yet that instinct to see and desire more still resides within me. Since taking up this mindfulness practice, I sometimes stop to take a reality check and in times like these, it helps remind me that I already have so much to be thankful for and that I don't need anything else in life. 

Life is good and that's all I could really ask for.

                                                                                                                      Peace
Sakura blossoms in Kyoto
In times of peace sometimes we need to take a step back to see how good we really have it. It's the simple things in life.

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: Stop for a moment and see what happiness you already have.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment