YoM Day 52: Humility of the Wise

Yesterday, I talked about the balance of give and take. Today is a new day.
"Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom." - Theodore Issac Rubin
I was playing some video games after taking a month off (while waiting for my internet to get set up) and I forgot how toxic the online gaming community could be. I've never considered myself smarter than others, but one thing that always bothers me is people who are intelligent yet waste their time being condescending toward those they deem "beneath them". Rather than using their time to try benefiting others, they choose to assert their "superiority". 

These same people then go on to rage, vent to their team mates, end up losing because what team morale they had was destroyed by their toxicity, significantly decreasing their chances of winning. The irony is that their superiority-complex made them lose. Telling your team mates they "suck" and how you're way better than them isn't going to magically make them play better. It's not going to make the situation better in any way. Foolish. 

On the flip-side, countless studies (and personal experience) show that being kind toward your team mates and establishing a good rapport with them significantly increases your chances of winning and keeping your cool under high-pressure situations. I used to rage a lot when I was younger and in less control of my emotions. I still get agitated now and then, but I win far more games now when I either keep my mouth shut when toxic players appear (no reason to escalate the situation and its pointless to keep talking to these people. It's like trying to convince your cat to stop being a dick. It's not gonna happen) or to be friendly and support them when they're not doing so well (it makes them stop worrying as much, which lets them focus on the game with a clearer mind). 

When it comes to life, we're not alone. It's not that much different than a video game. We all have to interact with other people at some point, so no amount of intelligence is really going to make you happy if you're a dick to everyone. More than kindness, however, I think humility is the real key to being truly wise and achieving happiness. 

Having humility and realizing this has helped me improve my life in so many ways. I don't consider myself any more intelligent than the average bloke out there, but it has humbled me and helped me see how much I still have to grow and what I can do in order to achieve that. If I were caught-up thinking I was hot shit all of the time I'd get nowhere. I'd stagnate because "I'm already smart, what left is there to learn?" 

True wisdom is in knowing that you aren't actually wise.

                                                                                                                         Peace
Sakura tree

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: How has this applied to your life?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment