YoM Day 46: Priorities

Yesterday, I talked about showing your appreciation for others. Today is a new day.

“Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials.” - Lin Yutang

The modern world is content-oriented. It’s always thinking about the next product and how to keep putting out the next big thing. It drives the economy and enables us to live more comfortably. This mindset keeps us very busy to the point where we’re always looking to meet deadlines. It feels great to get things done, but we often forget to take breathers.



This applies to everything we do in life. Sometimes it’s for the best for us to not do anything in order for us to be able to figure things out. For projects, especially, this is a great tool for inspiration.



When we give our minds time to unconsciously consider things it helps us come up with new ways to approach them. When we go about studying for a test, taking breaks gives your brain time to internalize what you’ve been studying. With video games, all of that stimulation takes its toll on our mental resources, so taking periodic breaks lets our brains and eyes rest.



This applies to how we prioritize things, too. This last month I haven’t had any internet. In Japan, it takes about two-three weeks for internet companies to come to your home (if you’re in an urban area) and set things up. Unfortunately for me, my apartment is located in a building that requires a land-line, so I can’t do mobile wi-fi for a reasonable price and speed.



During this time I’ve been prioritizing on work since the new school year has started and so although having no internet (outside of cafes) sucks, the experience has let me realize how much free time I actually have. By not doing my usual routines on online (leaving things undone) I’ve had more time to prioritize my time doing other things like going outside to take pictures of the sakura blossoms, think of ways to work on my teaching/improve my school’s atmosphere, and working on some music.



Although the internet allows me to do many things, it’s not absolutely necessary in my life, and by taking it away I’ve been able to get other things done that I normally prioritized less time on. This experience has opened my eyes to creating a new balance in how I spend my free time.



When one door closes, another one always opens.
 
                                                                                                                            Peace

Blossoms in Kyoto
The sakura bloom for only two weeks out of the year. If we're not careful we might miss it.

Comments

  1. Today’s assignment: Look for non-essentials you can eliminate. See how your priorities affect how you spend your time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment