YoM Day 42: Dare to challenge

 Yesterday, I talked about changing our “truths” through kindness. Today is a new day.

“To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose oneself.” - Soren Kerkegaard

Why do we fall? So we can learn to get back up. When we make mistakes, they help us grow. What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. These three sayings come to mind when I think of daring. To take risks and challenge ourselves enables us to prosper and not daring to do anything ruins us.

It is inevitable for us to come across bumps in whichever road we choose to go down. There’s no way we’ll be perfect every time. I think maintaining a balanced life involves taking risks. When we don’t it’s the same as giving up in my eyes. If we stay the same and don’t dare to grow, we stagnate. When that happens we get bored and our life starts feeling like it’s lacking color – the spark that once made you think everything was so interesting.

I like to people-watch. Japan is an interesting place to live because of how densely-populated it is. No matter where I go in Osaka I’ll see floods of people everywhere. I also interact with a wide-range of people and talk about all sorts of topics. This makes it very easy for me to see general trends and how lifestyle can affect our long-term health. I’ve become much better at guessing a persons’ lifestyle based on how they look and act. Years of not caring about your diet and not challenging yourself physically or mentally always takes its toll on the body and mind. A lot of my students take English lessons to stimulate their minds in order to avoid becoming senile. Many take on hobbies such as running or swimming in order to keep the body active. This helps prevent various diseases and promotes healthier skin and looking younger longer.

The new school year in Japan has started and I’ve been given a much more challenging role with more responsibilities. I made plenty of mistakes last year and felt I should learn from them. Now that I have more responsibilities to meet, I have to either change so I can rise to the challenge or stay the same as last year and make no progress as a teacher. Especially when teaching children, being complacent can make or break the entire dynamic of your role as a teacher. If I can’t adapt to the changes I’ll be left in the dust and will lose everything I’ve worked toward to becoming a good teacher/role model for my students.

I’ll make mistakes along the way, but as a result I’ll come out that much better off.

                                                                                                                 Peace
Where the maigc happens
Do you dare to take that first step?

Comments