YoM Day 40: Finding our own truth

Yesterday, I talked about being kind for the sake of it. Today is a new day.
All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” - Galileo
Truth” is often something that isn’t shown to us. You ever meet someone who preaches to you “the truth” and you think to yourself, “who is this prick? Go away”? It’s generally in our nature to learn things the hard way and discover them for ourselves. For things like taking a class we generally accept what’s being taught to us because we’ve already acknowledged that we want help.

For everything else, whether it’s dating advice, how we should act, or what we should like, I’ve always felt like I should make that decision myself. Having things imposed on me has always been something I’ve disliked. Perhaps I’m just too stubborn?

Coming back to focus, it’s interesting how our concept of “truth” always changes. Look at science. There used to be 9 planets, then 8, and now people are trying to take it back and revert to there being 9 planets. WHICH IS IT!? C’mon, Science, get it together. As we learn more we find out that there is still more for us to learn about. If such a thing as “truth” exists, I’d say that it’s either subjective to the person or something that will never be within our grasp – a paradox.

It’s our experiences that teach the strongest of lessons as our existence is the most solid and consistent thing we have as a reference. We can’t really understand what someone else is experiencing, we have an idea (or do we), but we can’t even prove our own existence. “I think, therefore I am” doesn’t prove anything, it’s just a pipe-dream as far as I’m concerned.

How can we be certain that our thoughts are our own and not something programmed like the automated robots that greet customers at stores? Indoctrination by human hands is a well-documented occurrence. That’s essentially what cultural conditioning is, so the idea of the individual self is something I think is not provable without a doubt.

Just like how there is no form of art (like music) that is universally liked by everyone. It’s subjective. As such, I think “truth” is something that depends on the individual. We cannot prove anything indefinitely and we each have a unique set of experiences, so what’s true for me is likely different from you.

Truth is something we have to discover for ourselves.

                                                                                                               Peace
The search for truth
Everything you need can be found within

Comments

  1. Today’s assignment: What “truths” you have discovered for yourself?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment