YoM Day 35: Don't just look

Yesterday, I talked about taking time to just stop and appreciate what’s going on in life. Today is a new day.

“See into life. Don’t just look at it.” - Anne Baxter
Although taking time to smell the roses every now and then is very important, simply smelling them can’t give you full appreciation for them. Thinking about what about them that makes them so pleasant and how it makes you feel can add a whole new layer of gratitude toward them.

In everything it’s the same. Simplicity can bring us joy, but so can looking deeply into something. One reason I like thinking so much is because that’s how I’ve come to see the beauty in the world. However, I believe in balance in all things and so I know that there’s also a lot I’m missing out on because I’m looking too deeply for something that’s been there all along.

Sometimes the most beautiful things are right in front of our faces and we miss it. It could be because we’ve grown accustomed to it – like mom’s cooking – so it no longer becomes special, but when it’s no longer there we come to realize how amazing it really was. Sometimes I’ll sit at home thinking about how much I miss mom’s tonkatsu, or dad’s scalloped potatoes. I also just don’t like cooking every day.

When I think about why I miss those things I really start to appreciate what may parents have done for me. Instead of “man, I really want some of mom’s croquets” it’s “my parents busted their ass to give me a comfortable life. Thank you.” Writing this actually made me a little homesick.

What’s on the surface isn’t always what counts. Sometimes you have to look on the inside to really see what matters most.

                                                                                                                                Peace
Look deeply
The more deeply we peer down the rabbit hole the more we may come to understand its madness.

Comments