YoM Day 4: Eternity is now

Yesterday we talked about our life's message. Today is a new day.

"Eternity is not the hereafter. Eternity has nothing to do with time. This is it. If you don't get it here, you won't get it anywhere. The experience of eternity right here and now is the function of life. Heaven is not the place to have the experience; here's the place to have the experience." Joseph Campbell
So many of us focus on thinking about the future. They think about what could be, what they should be doing, or the what-ifs. Some people ruminate too much on the past. They think about what they should have done and let their mistakes bring them down.

I think the message in today's quote is to remember that the present is the most significant part of our lives. What we do in the present will shape what we will be able to do in the future. What happened in the past may influence what is going on in the present, but it is ultimately up to us to determine how much our past influences us.

This is it - we're always in the present. Even if time seems to be frozen and our lives aren't moving anywhere, we cannot escape the present. It is what binds us to this reality and thus the present is eternal. I think this is what people mean when they refer to us as "infinite beings". We are a part of eternity.

When I was in high school I went through a breakup that devastated me. I was young, dumb, and full of conviction. I was arrogant and thought I had life figured out pretty well. After the breakup, all of the color in the world started to disappear. I kept blaming myself for failing and spent my time wishing things would be different. I ruminated on the past and how great is was before the world lost its beauty. I stopped thinking about the future and I was stuck in the past. The present felt like a frozen blur.

Eventually, I grew to realize that today is a new day. I wake up every morning, I have another chance to do something. At the time I was still taking piano lessons, so I poured my soul into my playing and it helped accelerate my growth. As I started focusing on the present and what I wanted to accomplish, time started moving normally for me again. The emotions that I didn't realize I still had were being conveyed through my playing. Someone once told me my playing was beautiful and it helped me realize that even though I felt like shit from the heartbreak, everything was okay. I had already moved on without realizing it. Today is a new day and I was still alive.

For me, that moment was like experiencing a bit of heaven. To me, that was when I started thinking about how important it was for me to focus on working on myself in the present. The first step taken is always the most significant and it can only be taken when you decide to move forward now. Not tomorrow. Not five more minutes later after pressing the snooze button. Life is experienced now.

Just do it.

                                                                                                         Peace
Echo in eternity
What we do now will echo in eternity.

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: Let yourself have some experiences of heaven here and now. Today is a new day. What's something you can do today?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment