YoM Day 23: Finding answers

Yesterday, we talked about saying only what's important. Today is a new day.
"Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday, far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer." - Rainer Maria Rilke
As someone guilty of thinking too much I always find myself questioning everything. Most of these questions have to do with how I'm living my life and what I should be doing. This often leads to a lot of unnecessary doubts and worries. It's important to consider these things, but ultimately I think it's more important to focus on what you can be doing now so that you don't have to worry about the future. I think some people spend too much time seeking the answers, but the master will always appear when the student is ready.

Some people will have sudden strokes of inspiration - epiphanies - when trying to solve puzzles, but in reality they were thinking about how to solve the problem in one way or another (perhaps even subconsciously) the entire time. The "aha!" moment typically comes when the gap between knowing and not knowing the answer isn't well understood. In the same sense, living the questions means doing what you can to take forward steps in your life as you can. Eventually, you might find the answer and achieve whatever goal you set out without even noticing it. It'll just happen.

In my life, I often worried about what I would do after graduating college. I changed the question from "what should I be doing" to "what are some things that I would enjoy doing" and it made all of the difference. I started looking up random jobs that my degree would qualify me for and instead of cherry-picking the jobs I thought I'd wanted, I ended up taking into consideration all sorts of jobs. I applied to everything from basic office assistance to suggestive hypnotic therapy.

Had I not opened my mind to other career paths I would have never started teaching in Japan and now that I'm here I can happily say that I've found a path that suits me. The other day I thought about how amazing of a decision it was for me to make to come to Japan and it's all because I stopped trying to find the answer. I just did what I thought sounded interesting and the pieces of the puzzle just came together.

Something as simple as changing the question you ask can make a world of difference in your approach to finding solutions, but also being open-minded and just living your life will eventually lead you down a crossroad. In this crossroad you'll be able to get a sense of where each one will lead you. I think the key point isn't focusing on thinking about which road you need to take, rather just picking a road will show you the answer. Instead of waiting around for that spark of inspiration, taking action and picking one will provide you with the answers you seek.


                                                                                                              Peace

Things will work out
As long as you don't give up, things will eventually fall into place.

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: Make a list of the questions you have already lived into the answers for. Have these answers created more questions for you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment