YoM Day 21: Let go of perfection

Yesterday, we talked about the conditioned mind. Today is a new day.
"Having precise ideas often leads to a person doing nothing." -  Paul Valery
When it comes to my art I sometimes have a concept that I really like yet realize that I lack the skill the pull it off. I end up thinking about how I want to do it and it ultimately leaves me stuck because I have a specific idea and sometimes can't pull it off. In the end I either get nowhere or spend too much time thinking about how to make it happen rather than getting straight to work on it and learning as I go.

This inflexibility to change my idea to something that better matches my abilities sets me back and keeps me from branching out and trying new ideas. It's like I think that I can only do an idea once and then have to create new things each time I draw. Although making original works is nice, I also need a lot of practice so I think it's perfectly fine to try the same basic idea and express in multiple ways. After all, art is about expression, yet knowing this I still limit myself.

The idea of precise ideas I think has to do with our ego. It creates a sense of pride we have as artists, writers, and general creators. We think we have to innovation with every creation, but realistically even the greats can't create gold every time. It's through trial and error, and putting out lots of works that we end up putting out pure gold on a more frequent basis. It's a number's game.

The point isn't to fixate on a single idea, rather using your ideas and making something out of them. The point isn't to aim for perfection every time, but to make the best out of what you can. We're not perfect and so if we set the bar too high with expectation, we miss out on so many opportunities in life. Whether it's our ideal partner, the perfect essay, or finding the perfect outfit, this applies to everything in life.

We can sit around and wait for perfection or we can let go of that expectation and see the numerous things this world has to offer, explore the countless ideas running through your head.

Sometimes it's the imperfect things that are the most beautiful - they're the most real.

                                                                                                                   Peace
 
Imperfection
We are imperfectly perfect

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: Notice an area of your life in which your ideas are so precise that they have become limits to you taking action.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment