YoM Day 18: Be yourself

Yesterday, we talked about learning from our mistakes and that they help us grow. Today is a new day.
"At 20 we worry about what others think of us; at 40, we don't care what they think of us; at 60, we discover they haven't been thinking of us at all." - Bob Hope
Aging is such an interesting process on our ego. When we're children, people shower us with attention and our understanding of the world is limited to what we experience. We are called egocentric because we think we're the center of our universe.

Society has conditioned us into wanting to fit in with the crowd and so when we're young you constantly feel pressured into wearing the right clothes, looking the right way, saying the right things. Not only are we critical of ourselves, we tend to be critical of other people, too. For me, middle-school sucked because of this.

When I hit puberty I remember being so self-conscious of my body hair. I started growing facial hair (learning to shave was interesting), my once hairless arms and legs started sprouting hair follicles left and right, my face broke out with acne, and I started thinking with my dick a lot. It sucked and I was so focused on my experience that I never considered what my peers were going through. I was only worried about what I was going through and how others perceived me.  

As I got older I started to realize that the world didn't revolve around me. This became much more apparent as I entered college. I started learning to consider how other people felt more and a feeling of wanting to give back and contribute to the world started to enter my thoughts. Of course I was still trying to figure out what I should be doing and where I needed to go, but I saw that it didn't really matter what I chose to study. It could've been psychology, it could've been liberal arts. Nobody would care and the drama of high school was pretty much gone. All of the eyes I thought were on me I realized were never there to begin with. It was all in my mind. This was both a bit depressing and liberating at the same time. I felt foolish, yet free.

I know now that regardless of what I do, the world will move on with or without me. If I died tomorrow only the people closest to me would know or even bat an eye. Everything else would remain the same. With this in mind it's helped me see that I'm free to do whatever I want and it doesn't matter if anyone judges me. Who cares? I'll still be me if they like me or not, so why should it matter?

I'm still pretty young (turning 27 in July) and I'm thankful that I'm breaking away from worrying about how people view me now rather than when I'm 40 or 60. It's helping me be genuine to myself and others. Most importantly, the time and effort I used to spend worrying about what others thought about me has given me more time and energy to do the things that matter most to me.

Your greatest enemy is yourself, not others. People hating on you isn't holding you back, you are.

Be yourself


                                                                                                                   Peace

Be yourself
Haters gonna hate. Ya might as well do yo thang and do it with pride.

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: Be you as if no one is watching. As if you're at home in your pajamas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment