YoM Day 15: Finding joy

Yesterday, we talked about accepting loving and trusting the self. Today is a new day.
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for." - John Lubbock
Life is all about perspective and this says in essence a lot of what I'm trying to say. You get what you get in life based on what you open yourself up to getting. You're not just dealt certain cards in life and that's it. You shape your destiny based on how you play them. Even the worst hand can come out as the winner when played right.

Unfortunately, I see so many people who are depressed that constantly post stories of assault, rape, corruption in the government, and all sorts of negativity. They're constantly immersing themselves in negative news that they're stuck in a bog of misery. It's no wonder either. They're constantly thinking about the terrible things that are going on around the world that all they see is a world of shit. Depression is a serious and terrible thing, but seeking negativity is just going to make it worse.

This is the essence of the confirmation bias in psychology. People who look for something will find it with enough effort and they limit their perspective to what they've found and think that's how the world must be. To me, this is one of the most toxic things we can do for the mind as it puts us in a vicious cycle of negativity. I never want to put myself through that.

Even though I have my own struggles that I'm facing, I'm the type that likes to look for the brighter side of any situation. When one door closes, another opens. For me, the key to finding joy within the tempest called chaos is deciding how I want to view my situation. There's a lesson in everything, so even the bad times offer me something to learn and grow from. I just have to find what that is. As a result, I'm learning to be thankful for everything that comes my way and helps me improve.

It is ultimately us to choose whether we enjoy life, and by making that choice we prime ourselves to seek the brighter side of things.  


                                                                                                                Peace

Choose joy
Life is what you make it.

Comments

  1. Today's lesson: Look for the joy in everything around you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment