YoM Day 14: The power is in you

Yesterday, we talked about learning to change our perspective when caught in a loop. Today is a new day.
"There is nothing you need to do first in order to be enlightened." - Thaddeus Golas
The modern world constantly pushes self-help resources and the idea that external help can solve our problems or help us fit-in, but I think that in doing so many have become too reliant on that help. Rather than learning to become independent, many are bound by their books, videos, etc. for the salvation they seek. We have this image in our heads that there's a standard for what we "should" be like. It's in the images we see in magazines and movies or the lifestyles hyped up in music and stories we're exposed to. When we deviate from this standard, we're often met with criticism.

Growing up I was always told that I had the power within me to accomplish anything I put my mind to. I was told that I just needed to put in the effort to make it happen. In the same way, it isn't that we need to keep searching to eventually stumble across the answers to our questions, we already have everything we need to succeed.

However, even though I was taught to rely on myself, the real-world constantly sends messages that we're not perfect. This crushed my self-confidence as a child and somewhere I stopped relying on myself and became a people-pleaser. I felt like I needed to fit-in if I wanted to become successful. My idea of success and happiness also depended on how people viewed me. Rather than loving myself unconditionally, my feelings of self-worth were tied to how others viewed me. It was toxic, pointless, and made me feel miserable.

The more I kept breaking away from my comfort zone (getting a job that heavily relied on interacting with others, home-staying in Japan, going to college in another town, working in the middle of nowhere in another state, moving to a new country), the more I've come to realize that I am a capable person. I can be happy no matter where I go or what I do. Each new experience I've had has shown me that no matter what the outcome I will be okay. I can choose whether I'm miserable or not. The power lies with my mindset.

My idea of success has changed from how society views me to how I feel about myself. I am learning to love myself more and more and as a result I'm learning to trust in myself. I have more confidence that what I'm doing is the right thing. It's helping me see that doing the things that genuinely make me feel good is a reflection of my path clearing itself of the clutter and detours that would otherwise lead me astray. I just need to have faith that I'm good enough the way I am and nurture the gifts that I possess until I blossom.

                                                                                                                 Peace

You're perfect
You're perfect just the way you are.

Comments

  1. Today's lesson: Each time you remember the quote, take a long, deep breath and enjoy your inherent enlightenment - your imperfect perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment