YoM Day 11: Cycle of reciprocation

Yesterday, we talked about the butterfly effect kindness can have on us. Today is a new day. 
"One can pay back the loan of gold, but one lives forever in debt to those who are kind." - Malaysian proverb

Kindness keeps us healthy and the seeds that are sown by kindness can blossom into a garden of positivty.  Reciprocation is the gift that keeps on giving. When someone does something for us we instinctively like that person more and are likely to want to return the favor out of gratitude.

Borrowing money is often a sensitive issue for people as it's something we depend on so much. At the same time, we all realize that money is just money. There's no soul in it. Yes, it's great when someone gives us some money to help us out during hard times, but sometimes it's the little things that can leave the biggest impact.

In Japan gift-giving is a tradition that is sometimes seen as obligatory. For many people, they just like to give to others because it feels good to. The other day one of my students shared some of the cookies they bought from Disneyland and it was a very warm moment. It was simple and that student didn't have to do anything, yet it made me want to be that much better of a teacher for them. In response, they grew closer to me and after a few back-and-forth rounds of gratitude we're very warm toward each other when we talk. At the same time, I never expect anything from them. It's always a pleasant surprise when they go out of their way to do something for me.

When I think about the people I've stayed the closest with in my life, it's those who kept on giving back. You ever meet someone who always goes to parties just to get free drinks, never contributes when everyone goes out to eat, and just doesn't do anything for anyone else? They're mooches. I can't say I'm a fan of them. Compared to those who selflessly help others, mooches are the polar opposite in terms of people I like. I think most people would feel the same. Yet I think we often aren't aware of whether we mooch from others more than we reciprocate. This is something I think about a lot.

I often wonder whether I'm giving back enough. I think about all of the things people do for me and I feel like I'm receiving more than I'm giving back. One reason I'm sharing my thoughts and my art is to try giving perspective to others. It's my way of giving back, even if it's just a little bit. I try to show kindness to anyone willing to receive it. I know I can't just buy things for everyone, because then it's not as genuine. I believe that I have to do something that only I can do. The one thing that comes to mind is just being myself around others and giving everyone a chance to shine. It may not be much, but it's what I'm able to do at the moment. Gotta start somewhere. Baby steps, right?

To anyone not sure of how to give back, it's simple: kindness is a debt that can be repaid only with the same coin. It can be a hug, a smile, a compliment, anything you think you can do to make someone's day better.


                                                                                                              Peace

gift of kindness
No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted. Don't hate, reciprocate.

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: Pay back as much kindness as possible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment