More or Less pt. 1

We're both in the age of unlimited information and the age of confusion. Whether it's the news (where everyone preaches the "truth"), the influx of new music trends, or the next generation of phone coming right around the corner, the world is moving fast and it's hard to keep up.

There are so many things to discuss, have opinions about, and so many possibilities for our futures that it can be difficult for some of us to figure out which path to take. "More is better" is a theme that many companies advertise. Contrary to the popular belief that having more options leads to a happier life, having more doesn't always make us fully satisfied. It can also make us question how we'd feel had we chosen the other option. I consider it a double-edged sword.

It's not that having options is inherently bad, it has to do with how adaptable human beings are. Once we get used to the idea that we have more to choose from, we place less value on things as a whole. When you buy a pack of Skittles and you only like 1 or 2 flavors, the pack becomes much less valuable compared to buying a pack of Skittles with your favorite flavor of the rainbow. For the same reason we often take things for granted once we become accustomed to it and consider it "normal". It loses its novelty, and like how our need for instant-gratification increases with the advent of technology, our attention-span has shortened and we crave excitement more often than ever.

In that sense, we get lost in our need for "more" that we look to fill some feeling of emptiness that's created by our own dissatisfaction with our own lives. We're looking for the next escape and it's name could be the new iphone, video game, pair of Jordan's, designer bag, you get the point. I feel that in the endless cycle of seeking "better" we sometimes lose sight of ourselves and what we want to achieve. As if we're worthless without the "latest and greatest".

Like an addiction, people get caught up in what's going on around them that they forget to take a breather and think about what they need or want to do. You might liken it to a disease known as gluttony, which I consider a distraction disguised as a solution to a problem that never existed.

Something that helped me see that I already have everything I need were my studies in psychology. In learning more about the human mind it made me question my own existence and motivations. Other than a roof over my head,food to sustain my body, and income to pay for the former, I don't "need" anything to live. This made me think harder about the investments I made for myself. Rather than focusing on the brand or the style, I focused on what I wanted to accomplish and what would help me get there. I shifted from focusing on "what's nice" to "what's going to actually help me achieve my goals".

For example, I love video games and there are plenty of games out there that look cool, but because I'm in no rush to keep up with releases I have time to think about what really looks interesting to me. I have time to think about what I'm actually willing to dedicate my time to doing. By learning how to wait, it has helped me focus on my priorities first. I want to play the new Legend of Zelda title coming out in a few weeks, but there's no rush and the game will still be there 2 months, even 2 years from now. Knowing this, I've chosen to invest my time in finding a new apartment, keeping my health in check, and saving money in order to travel. I've gone from wanting to get all of the new releases to shifting my focus to other aspects of my life and focusing on what's more important to me.
 
At the same time, I can see how having more options can help us discover what we really value. Everyone is different, so of course that means there's no "right" answer to living life. I'll discuss the other side of this coin another time. I want to move past my way and see other ways, too.

It's all about finding the right balance.
                                                                                                
                                                                                                        Peace

More isn't always better
Sometimes less is more

Comments

  1. In what ways has having less options given you more satisfaction?

    For me, green tea is all I need to help me relax. I like other teas, too, but I'd be fine drinking only green tea. I never get sick of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment