People Change

The start of the year is often associated with change and growth.  Unfortunately, life is stone-cold and doesn't care about dreams. Shit happens and never at a good time. As I've gotten older the reality of this has become clearer. I've found myself in a situation where two people I've come to know and love are at the brink of divorce and I'm lost as how I can be there for them.

People change and sometimes it sucks. With regard to relationships, sometimes it's for the best and everyone benefits from it. Sometimes one doesn't want to accept/adapt to the change. Sometimes one changes and what once seemed magnificent is now the opposite of what one wants in life. We live in a time of constant change (many of which go unnoticed). We are more than ever exposed to different opinions, values, and ideals that we often change perspective on what we once considered "right". Perhaps it's more accurate to call this the "Age of Updates"? The internet has become integral to our daily lives and it's constantly evolving - updating.

However, no matter what the update may be, we can't always predict the future. For all we know, that change enabled us to experience something a million times more awesome and we won't even realize it when it happens. For all I know, both of my friends will find people who make them even happier than when they were together. Maybe this experience will propel them to go the extra mile to ensure they achieve their heart's desires. None of us know. As such, I think it's important not to shy away from change - the unknown.

I think that despite the changes we experience in our lives, not setting expectations and learning to adapt and go with the flow is the best we really can do. I think so many people get caught up in the idea of wanting to control where their life is headed and it backfires when they realize they can't control everything. In my case, I can't stop my friends from breaking up but if it happens I think the best I can do is just let them know that I'm there for them if they need someone to talk to. Lastly, I think I need to let go of the thought that I have to be there for them. Maybe they want time alone to think things over and any attempts on my end to help them out (regardless of the intention) may be counterproductive meddling to them. It's hard to say, but it's not solely up to me to decide. Their will is just as important to consider. For now, maybe simply being available to them when the time comes is good enough?

What do you think?

                                                                                                                   Peace

People Change
When life gives you lemons, it may be good to accept and figure out what to do with them.


Comments

  1. Change is an interesting beast. What are some changes you're going through and are unsure about?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment