Musical Mindset

Music has been a huge part of my life since I was really young. I remember days where my dad would play classic rock during road-trips and falling asleep to classical at home. I started taking piano lessons when I was seven and joined the school band when I was in the 5th grade as a clarinetist. I've loved musicals and as I got older learned to really appreciate the different subtleties in music and the various ways in which songs are composed.
"Mozart said, ‘Go on a journey.’ I went to a world where colors breathed life and music was magic. I won’t ever forget it, not ever." - Kaori Miyazono
These words were spoken by a character in one of my favorite series, Your Lie in April. Although I'm not a synesthete, I've come to feel the emotion from the music I listen to. You ever hear someone mention how certain songs seem to "lack soul"? I get what that means, but it's something that's difficult for me to describe in words. I simply know. They aren't pure in the sense that you can tell that the person made them with sales in mind instead of expressing themselves with every fiber of their being. When someone is giving it their all you can tell. It's like someone is opening their heart to you without expectation and that honesty compels you to listen. Even if it's not your style you still recognize it for what it was: someone sharing a meaningful part of themselves with you.

Music has colored my perspective toward that of valuing expression. In the same way I believe some of the best music comes from people who are an open book of expression, I believe we perceive each other in much of the same way. Some people think they're slick, but most people can sense when someone's bullshitting them. Whether it's a forced smile with some laughter sprinkled on top or someone trying to convince you that they knew exactly what you were talking about despite that blank-slate look on their face, people are smarter than some would like to believe. As such, I think a lot of people struggle with getting close to others because we're encouraged to not be completely honest with each other in our society. Everything is about superficial things like looks or status, that I think the pressure that comes with the expectations makes people act in ways that aren't true to themselves.

Of course there are many other factors like social norms and a general lack of acceptance towards others (some people insist that there's a "proper" way to act but I disagree) that influence people to putting on a mask in the face of others, but I believe that if we all learned to act like we do at home when nobody is watching all of the time and not judge others for doing the same, we'd have a lot more authenticity in this world. Many great achievers say it's important to learn how to be yourself and in many ways I agree. I believe doing so is what helps people self-actualize and unlock their potential. 

                                                                                                        Peace

Musical Mindset
Play your song

Comments

Post a Comment