We've Oppressed Ourselves

As NAS once versed, "life's a bitch and then we die." The world is in deep shit and things aren't exactly perfect. The sad part is that the blame falls on ourselves for the predicament we, as a species, have found ourselves in.  The main culprit? It's not the government, your company, the naysayers in your life, etc. It's our arrogance i.e. hubris.

I used to be very elitist as a child. I was a brat. I was a try-hard at most things and hated the sight of incompetence. My competitive drive and ego were too strong and it held me back from trying many new things because I wanted to avoid situations where I was what I hated: incompetent. I was arrogant and extremely ignorant. It's something I'm not proud of admitting, but from time-to-time my elitist nature kicks in when I see really dumb things out there. The current presidential election in the states? Hooooo boyyyyyy.

I've mentioned that there's balance in everything, and the human race is no exception. We've gone a long time struggling to maintain balance in our lives and I feel that we're approaching the tipping point. Many like to refer to the common people as lemmings or sheep following the herd to supply the rich and powerful with the fuel they need to live comfortably. Judging from the looks in people's eyes I come across on a daily basis, I'd say that's mostly true. We've become parts of a machine.

Like the Matrix movies, many of us are waking up and learning to retake life in our own hands. However, many people are still living in the lie that's been veiled over us. Many of us notice it and choose to ignore or deny it. Some even use it as an excuse to not live the lives they really want. There are many groups that strive for the idea of true freedom - Anonymous being the most infamous in the online community. Ultimately, I think the one restricting our growth is ourselves. It's all in how we perceive the world and how we choose to act within it.

"Do our computers, cars, and factories really illustrate how intelligent we are, or do they show how lazy we've become?"

Our hubris is our greatest enemy and is what has allowed our people to be taken advantage of. Look at what social media has done to people. Not a day goes by that I don't see someone glued to their mobile device. Yes, we've accomplished great technological feats; but, in the process of having such things people have shut themselves off from the rest of the world through the technology they've come to depend on. Many of us have forgotten how to take care of ourselves because we could just buy something to do the job for us. We've become too focused on convenience and are like infants who depend on their guardians for everything. If technology vanished, these people would be like an infant that has been abandoned. 

R.I.P.

It's broken us apart more than ever and that's exactly how we're taken advantage of. When we're isolated it becomes easier to prey on our insecurities and manipulate us into following fads, buying certain products, and thinking certain ways. That's how the media plays the game. Like taking candy from a baby. Most importantly, it's kept us from seeing how much power we as individuals actually have. We can all be The One in the universe if we work toward something hard enough. 

We think we're aware of what's going on, but I think that just makes it easier to hide the lies and deception right under our noses. The question I want to propose is what we do about it once we've learned that we need to change if we ever want to live life our own way freely.

The answer I've come up with is starting with myself. If I'm not happy, free from doubt, strong in body and mind, or generally stable, how am I supposed to help others? If we can't help ourselves, how can we expect to help anyone else? I believe this concept holds true with the world in general. If we as a collective don't strive to better ourselves, how can we save ourselves from our own destruction?

In the last few years I've been making changes for myself. I've changed my diet, have incorporated more exercise in my daily life, play less video games and watch less television; and make sure to get enough rest and take care of my body and mind. I have more energy than before. I feel great. I don't experience any crashes that excess amounts of caffeine or sugar tend to give people. I am able to think more clearly and critically about things. My skin has become healthier. My body is in peak condition. I've had more creative thoughts. Most importantly, I've become more assertive in doing things. I've taken more action in my life instead of blaming other things for my own shortcomings. 

Taking action is what I think is key in changing the world and is the subtle (yet so important) message people strive to send whenever they share something with others. The power lies within us and it is up to us to decide whether we want to take action or not. We can change the world. The outcome depends on whether we're willing to put in the effort to do so. 

The world is in a pickle and many believe that we have become enslaved by those who hold the reigns of power. However, the conclusion I've reached is that we've allowed ourselves to live shackled lives. We've oppressed ourselves with whatever belief or excuse we've decided to follow. Our arrogance often causes us to look away from ourselves when placing blame. We look toward The Man and say he's been oppressing us or the person living next door for causing problems in your life. I think that's just our ego refusing to admit that we've been limiting ourselves this whole time. It's our way of avoiding responsibility and ownership of our own lives.

We've let the dog's incessant barking get to us every morning. We've let our weight to spiral out of control. It doesn't matter what other people may have said. In the end, you made the decision to let others manipulate you. Let's change the world by first changing ourselves. I think then we can start making some real progress. Like all progress, it will take time. No worries, take baby steps. You'll get there.

                                                                                                                  Peace
                      
We've oppressed ourselves
The joke's on us
                                                                                    


Comments


  1. I've written a lot about love, light. and other things positive, but reality isn't all sunshine and rainbows. I also want to talk about the more controversial and less sought out topics. We can't be real without acknowledging the dark sides of life, after all. And that's what I strive for with this blog: keeping it real. Peace

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment