Clown-fiesta Politics

Some of my students asked me about the Presidential Debate that happened yesterday and it provided an interesting discussion. Yesterday I decided to watch the presidential debate and observe what sort of shit-show would go down. I saw exactly what I expected and I couldn't help but laugh.

I'll be honest; I've never been interested in politics. It would be better to describe my apathy toward politics more as a feeling that it's all a bunch of male, bovine, fecal matter being flung from the blades of a rotating cooling device. I hesitated to write this because I know how sensitive people can be when it comes to the topic of politics. Nevertheless, I feel that if I am to be honest with myself and the people around me, I shouldn't censor myself when I have something I want to convey. 

So here I am, typing away. I've mainly done things according to my intuition and this is no exception. I've learned to trust it and it has yet to do me wrong (another topic for another day). That said, my opinion is merely that, and opinion. Perhaps my ignorance of the political world (well, the nitpicky details at the very least) makes my opinion misguided? I don't know. I do know, however, about human nature and what we are capable of.

I'm of the opinion that it doesn't really matter who wins because there will always be problems in a country that allows such a flawed system to remain in place despite the people voicing their discontent. I'm of the mind that the problems won't be simply fixed through changes in policies and laws when the people living in the country have yet to work on fixing themselves. I know that when people come to depend on anything other than themselves for salvation, nothing can match up to the beacon of hope they want to come in and liberate them.

Having been a part of a debate team, I've seen how many people let emotions get in the way of rational thinking. I've seen how easy it is to manipulate people's opinions simply by playing on their desires and fears. Politics is the ultimate example of this in action. Thinking back on the "debate," that's all either candidate really did. Make promises for a better future and put the other candidate on blast by talking about how they're not fit for the job. In my eyes there was no real debate. All I saw were some clowns playing the role of the hype-man for themselves. Unfortunately, the hype that surrounds these debates becomes headlines and the topic-of-the-day (for me too, apparently) for multiple avenues of media. There's no question the influence these things have on people and there's no question the result will have an impact on the people, which in turn will change the state of the country itself.

Regardless of who you support or want to win, this is a political debate i.e. a pissing contest meant to gain the popularity of the common people. Regardless of what either party said, actions speak louder than words. I understand how many can become so emotionally invested in the debate; however, I aim to be a free man. To me, that means no matter what obstacle comes my way I will always find a way to overcome it. My thinking is often very Darwinistic. The strong (strength comes in many forms, not just physical) will survive as they always have. Be it in the ghetto or from the flames born from hatred and greed. I am choosing to observe whether humanity has learned from its mistakes or if we're doomed to repeat - with higher stakes each time - the cycle we've been going through since the dawn of our known existence. While this may make me arrogant, I believe that's the best decision for me to make.

Most importantly, I think that regardless of who wins, the earth will continue on with or without the U.S. Yes, it would be unfortunate if the country fell and millions suffered as a result (even people whom I know and love). Yes, it would be ideal if the whole world could live happily. However, you can't please everyone and humanity has forgotten its role and responsibilities toward this planet. It's only natural we face repercussions for it. Sometimes people have to learn the hard way. It wouldn't be the first time, either. Many empires have fallen, and more will fall in the future. Regardless of who wins, the U.S. is going to face a lot of change in the next four years.

The real question isn't who would make a better candidate. The real question, in my mind, is whether the people can recover from the ashes they've left behind once the shit storm has ended?  

                                                                                                           Peace


Sin waves in nature
Every beginning has an end and we must accept that. Rather than worrying about the worst that could happen, I think we should ride the wave as it comes.

Comments

  1. Maybe I'm just arrogant and ignorant? Maybe my intuition is worth listening to? I don't know. Maybe I'm just letting the negative attention that's built up get to me and now I've become the sucker? Only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment