Is Money Really That Important?

What's the point of obtaining money and fame if you've become miserable in the process? 

The world revolves around money. Money this, money that. How much do you make? How much did you pay for your house? How much was your car? How much do you have saved up? How much? How much? Status, status, status. Money, money, money.

I am by no means rich. I make enough to pay my bills, buy enough groceries, and have some left over to save or spend on whatever. It's a comfortable lifestyle. Am I unhappy with my situation? Not at all. Sure, it'd be nice to be able to live the luxury life on a daily basis, but I like my life as it is. And at what cost would I have to obtain that lifestyle?  

In this age of abundance, when do we finally have enough? There's always something new coming out whether it's a phone, tablet, car, computer, game, clothing, etc. How long until we're satisfied? The economy runs on consumption, so companies try really hard to get us to desire the latest goods. This desire leads to an endless cycle of working toward obtaining things, buying them, and then doing the same for the next product when it comes out. It happens every time whether it's shoes, makeup, or diet products. There's always something new. Do we actually need them?

Sure, it'd be nice living in a mansion and being financially independent, but realistically speaking, I'd have to put in a lot more work and dedication into making money. I have avenues in which I could earn more money (whether it's working overtime or taking on a second job part-time as well as doing free-lance work online), however, what about time to rest? What about time to socialize? We need time for both of these, too, if we want to be healthy. 

I've met people who work 100-hour weeks for months, miles away from modern society just so they can get some quick cash to buy a bunch of the newest nick-knacks and doodads. When they get back they've aged a few years and get piss-drunk for a good week before the novelty wears off. These same people went through hell for months just to obtain some nice things that will soon be outdated. To me, that's insanity.

I also used to pull 120 weeks during summer break in my last two years of college. Let me tell you, it sucked. Really sucked (though I made great friends and grew from the experience). I aged a few years within a few months and pushed my body really hard. I had to recover for a good week when I got home before feeling right again. It's something I only did out of necessity. It's something I would never recommend to someone who doesn't need good money in a short period of time.

This experience really taught me that your body and mind are the most precious and irreplaceable things you have. Why risk destroying it for material possessions? Why risk being miserable for temporary happiness? Many of them overworked themselves and ended up with chronic injuries or severe psychological damage as a result of not taking care of themselves. It's why I didn't go back a third year (other than being offered a teaching position in Japan). Is a new computer or car really worth that?

How far will you go until you're satisfied with what you have? 

                                                                                                         Peace
 
Worked to Death
Money can't do much if you've worked yourself to death


Comments

Post a Comment