You're More Than a Label

Fortune telling has been practiced for centuries and remains popular in the form of horoscopes, zodiacs, star signs, etc., people like seeking validation for their identity. The modern day fortune teller comes in the form of various personality tests seen on social medias. They're more a game than anything, but some use them as a means to live their life. Whether you believe in their accuracy or not, the descriptions do help serve as a way to summarize what kind of person you are. They can help people get a basic understanding of who they are without you having to explain it all. That's mainly why they're so popular. People prefer simplicity and convenience.

However, we're not just limited to the traits of whatever results we get or what sign we're born under. That said, I like to think of zodiac signs (Greek and Chinese), horoscopes, and the like to be possible routes among many for us to take in life. We're not bound by the descriptions in any of them, nor are they completely inaccurate. Humans are complex like that. In my case, I am born under the zodiac sign for Cancer.

In essence, Cancers can be described as intense. They are highly sensitive people and that is both their biggest strength and weakness. I believe in moderation in everything and too much of anything can disrupt your balance. It's due to their sensitivity that Cancers' lives can be easily taken off course by even the most trivial of matters like stubbing your toe, someone making a snide comment toward you or someone you care about, etc. On the other hand, it also enables us to be among the most passionate and caring of people.

It's often said that Cancers are the most intimate of companions when they feel they can trust you. Once you have my trust there's nothing I won't talk to you about - including my flaws and insecurities. We will devote our entire lives to you if you let us. That's how strongly we can feel. I have even experienced synchronized dreams and thoughts with people I've encountered. Our sensitivity makes us capable of being extremely empathetic. Simply being in the presence of positive or negative energies has a strong influence on how we feel. It's both great when we're having fun and horrible when we allow ourselves be consumed by any negativity around us. Our empathy helps us understand people and often makes us good listeners. It also seems to help people open up around us, too. Sometimes I talk about really personal things with people I've just met and they reciprocate and open up as well. I think a lot of that has to do with how much trust I tend to initially place in people when I meet them.

At the same time, because Cancers are so sensitive, if we ever feel like that trust is betrayed, don't expect to be forgiven easily. Once we're hurt, we retreat into our shells until we feel it's safe again. Being emotionally sensitive, we try to avoid being hurt that much more as it's easy to become devastated by bad news. This also means we tend to be very careful when meeting others and can be insecure about a lot of things. In relationships, many Cancers are known to be clingy or need validation from their partners to feel genuinely cared for and loved. Let's be real here, that can get old. Fast. I know because I used to be like that. The deeper the connection with a Cancer creates room for stronger insecurities. Of course, this all depends on how well the Cancer is able to find inner peace. Those of us who recognize our strengths and weaknesses often take time to really think about our relationships and once we let go of our surge of emotions, we can be calm and learn to forgive and forget. In my case, I don't like feeling down so I've learned to take time to calm down, let my emotions settle, learn to forgive and forget.

While I can relate very well with my zodiac sign, I'm also many other things. I'm generally really cool and collected when shit hits the fan, even if there's chaos around me. I can be very observant, loyal, and indecisive like the Scorpio. I think a lot about harmony, sharing with others, and the outdoors like the Libra. I have characteristics of every sign. And some contradict others. The same is with all of us. I think this is the most human aspect of human nature. It's part of what makes us imperfect beings. Our world is ever-changing and our behavior reflects that. We all have moments where we lose our composure. We all have brain-farts. But that's what makes us beautiful. From our mistakes, we can make improvements. We can grow.

Coming full-circle, we're not bound by any horoscope, personality test, or any label that's given to us. We can learn and adapt. However, I think having these descriptors can be useful to us because they show us what we're capable of - how our personality traits can influence our lives and the roles they play in shaping the decisions we make.


While they are convenient, we're more than that. Whether it's your star sign or a label someone decided to give you, we aren't defined solely on face-value characteristics. I'm not just a Cancer. You're not just some label. By getting to know myself through self-reflection I've come to not depend on other mediums to tell me who I am or will be. I am who I am, and who I am is what I'll be.

                                                                     Who are you?

                                                                                                                               Peace

Zodiac Cancer
I am who I choose to be

Comments

  1. We don't need to know the future in order to accomplish anything, we can shape our future how we see fit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment