The Bell's Call: Mt. Hiei's Enryakuji

Have you ever visited a sacred place? You ever feel its energy flow through you as you stand in wonderment as to what might have happened in ancient times?

Mt. Hiei StaircaseMt. Hiei Staircase

I recently climbed Mt. Hiei, which is historically known for being the first outpost for the Tendai sect of Buddhism, with a coworker. This outpost housed the Tendai warrior monks in 788 A.D. and was one of the major Buddhist sects in Japan at the time. As we approached the entrance, I immediately knew the path ahead would be brimming with hidden stories and gateways to the past. The stone-block stairway was steep and imitated a natural incline toward the mountain's peak. It also served as a great warm-up to the rest of the climb.

Mt. Hiei Shrine

Along the path to the summit we encountered various fissures in the ground from over a millennia of earthquakes, signs of rituals done for centuries, and trees older than some countries. The higher I climbed the more I could feel a sense of calming and a feeling of familiarity with the mountain. I remember walking up a path and pausing for a moment as I saw various scenes that played out throughout this spot. The person I was hiking with said it may have been a sign of past-life regression. Whether you believe in it or not, it was surreal.

As we reached the half-way point, we came across a gigantic tree that looked to be hundreds of years old. Being in its presence and laying my hands on it brought a feeling of wisdom being transferred to me. It made me respect the surrounding area. I also noticed that we started speaking very quietly. Yes, the trail was quiet, but that wasn't it. Have you ever tried being completely silent and still? It's hard. You might be distracted by the noises around you, you might feel an itch and have to scratch it, or you might notice the beating of your heart. To me, I think we became very quiet because we knew we didn't need to project our voices in order to communicate. We didn't need to be loud or pronounced to understand each other. There were times where we didn't talk but understood what we were experiencing. As if the forest was helping us connect on a simple basis.

Mt. Hiei Tendaiji

As we got to the top, I heard the bell's call. They had a bell that visitors can ring as a showing of respect to the temple grounds. When I heard it ring throughout the area, I felt the vibrations reverberate within me. Its song brought me to a state of calmness. Its echo pulsed through me and made me think about the culmination of my actions. Who I've become and where I can possibly go in the future.

Mt. Hiei Meeting Hall
The Enryakuji Meeting Hall
Simply put, I'd describe the experience as spiritual. And that entire day was relaxing. I got a good workout, I was able to immerse myself in historical monuments and nature, and I felt a sense of familiarity and belonging the entire time I was there.

Whether you care about spirituality or not, I think there's an inherent power to visiting places rich in the history of our ancestors.Whether it's Stone Henge or Mecca, there's no denying the atmosphere surrounding the areas. I wonder if we're able to sense the history of the place or if its the associations we make based on our knowledge of the area that influences how we perceive it. I think that it may be a little of both. Humans are curious creatures.

While we are intelligent and self-aware, we have for the most part lost touch with our instincts. However, we still retain our ability to sense the more subtle and nuanced aspects of life like other animals if we train ourselves to block out the distractions surrounding us. This is why I think coming here had such an impact on me. I live in the heart of Osaka, which has a lack of trees and an excess of technology and consumerism. Everywhere I walk I'll find someone fiddling on their cellphone (whether it's Pokemon GO! or some sort of social media) ignoring the rest of the world. For me, visiting Enryakuji was a reminder for me to not lose sight of what's important in my life. To not let the distractions of the modern world hinder my focus.

If you're ever feeling low in energy or need time to think, I recommend taking a nice walk. No phone, no music, just you. You might like it.

                                                                                                                Peace
Stream at the base of Mt. Hiei
Enjoying a stream and the base of the mountain.






Comments

  1. Have you visited any places that had a strong impact on you? What sort of vibes did you feel?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment