Owning Your Weirdness

No one will ever meet someone else who is exactly like you. You are unique. People might share similar interests, have a similar pool of knowledge, or may look like you; but, no matter how many similarities one may share with you, nobody will have the same experience you have. You are unique and it is something you should learn to be happy with. You might think you're weird, but that's just who you are. People might call you eccentric, unusual, strange, odd, etc. Regardless, these characteristics are something that have shaped you into who you've become today. We all have our quirks. The question is whether you own your weirdness.

Overall I'm pretty normal, but like all people, I have some quirks to my character. Sometimes I'll think about what it'd be like to be a crow and be able to fly around and observe people unnoticed. I love smelling newly tried foods to become really familiar with them. I've learned to also utilize this habit as a chance to analyze how the ingredients in each dish harmonize with each other and often think up new recipe ideas for myself. I sometimes have dreams so vivid I wake up needing a moment to realize which reality I'm in. These dreams become inspiration for my art and I try to understand these dreams to learn more about myself. I often hum or sing songs on the train when I'm deep in thought or in a good mood. When I notice I'm humming, it serves as a trigger for me to pay attention to my thoughts so I can reflect on and write them down later. Occasionally, I check how musty I smell after a workout to see how much I pushed myself that day. I've learned to tell how my diet is affecting my body through how I smell. You'd be surprised how differently you smell (even the taste of your saliva, blood, etc.) change as you change what you shove down your mouth.

Many historical figures also utilized their uniqueness to leave behind a legacy. Rather than worrying about what others were doing, they focused on doing what they could do. They focused on developing their strengths. Much of what makes us weird is also something we can utilize to be creative, and learning to recognize what makes me weird is something that has helped me greatly.

I used to want to fit in with others and be really self-conscious about what I did or said. To some extent I still am. However, I'm learning how to turn my quirks into assets. By doing so, I've come up with ways to drive my creativity. They've become talents. It lets me know that I'm an individual with my own thoughts and value. The key word there is value. We create our own value with our actions, so if I'm going to be weird, I might as well find a way to make my weirdness useful. Doing makes you more valuable than any Joe Schmoe that lets their talents go to waste.

Go own your talents, weirdo.

                                                                                                               Peace
Swimming in Weirdness
Basking in the weirdness



Comments

Post a Comment