Consumed by Negativity

Negativity is a strong emotion. Animals are programmed to remember negative events more strongly than positive ones as a survival mechanism. You ever burn your hand trying to satisfy your curiosity to fire? You ever forget that fire is hot? Most people don't because if our ancestors just casually forgot that they can get mauled by the many dangers of the world, it's hard to say if we'd still be here today.

Unfortunately, some people let negativity influence every aspect of their lives. With the recent floods of media stories focusing on political fumbles, local crime, and terrorism, it's no surprise why so many of us live in fear and anxiety. While it is important to acknowledge the ugly side of humanity, I think we often forget to remember its beauty. What about art? Festivals? Theme parks? Ice cream? Cat videos? We have quite a dark history, but we also have so much good. There's balance in everything and this is no exception.

Something that has helped me in my life's journey is learning to see the positives in everything life has to offer. Rather than looking at it through one lens, I've taught myself that my outlook on life will shape how I see it. Do you see the glass as half-full or is it half-empty? Do people fail to understand me, or is it I who fails to understand and meet other people on the same level? Do our imperfections make us incomplete, or are we just all unique pieces to the puzzle and as a society complete one another?

The other day I accidentally left my phone at the barber shop. I've been working toward strengthening my body, so instead of viewing the trip back as an inconvenience I chose to see it as an opportunity to exercise my legs again, so I raced back on my bike at full-speed, got a great workout, and got my phone back. I could have just as easily put myself down for having forgot about my phone and worried about whether the phone was still there or not. I could have been negative and whined about how I had to spend time to go back to the barber I just came from. But what good would that have done me? What good does worrying do for you? What good does grumbling about negative outcomes do you? Nothing comes from it, just annoyance and wrinkles in the forehead. With that in mind, was leaving my phone at the barber's a negative thing? In this case, no, because I chose not to see it as an opportunity to grow. Even if the phone wasn't there, I'd use that as a lesson to be more careful and move on. It's just a phone. I'd still be alive without it, right?

There's a lesson in everything. There are bright and vibrant colors all around us. It's just a matter of whether we notice them or not. I used to be a very negative person. I liked to call myself a "realist". Back then, I think I was just letting myself be too influenced by my negativity. Is life all sunshine, rainbows, and t? Of course not. But there's a difference between choosing to focus on life's wonders and choosing to highlight life's flaws all day. How do you see it?

                                                                                                                             Peace

Consumed by negative energy
Don't let yourself be consumed by negative vibes

Comments

  1. We all have bad days. What are some things you chose to instead view as an opportunity to grow and learn from?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment