The Crow's Gift

The day before I left for Japan I had an amazing experience that was brief, yet very powerful.

I was walking down a foreign street while trying to find a bus stop nearby so I could get to the train station and visit my (now former) work mates one last time. As I was walking down a passageway a crow came swooping down right over my head. It took me by surprise and I can still clearly remember feeling startled, but not afraid of being in danger once I saw what it was that flew over me. It turned around and did it again, but this time it cawed loudly. It flew by a third time from behind me and this time I traced where it was headed and it perched on a tree branch up high and continued to caw to get my attention.

What I saw was amazing; I saw a sun halo off to the side and behind where the crow was perched. It completely blew me away. For those who don't know, a sun halo is a complete rainbow that circles around the sun in the sky. I had never seen anything like it before, and as I stood there in awe, the crow was now silent and flew off now that it knew my gaze was toward where it wanted me to look. I felt as if it had guided me toward the sun halo and was giving me a sign for things to come in my life. Tomorrow would be the start of another journey, and here I am chillin' with a crow in some random street looking at rainbows. That's weird, but it was very calming.

When I got home I looked into the significance of sun halos and I was once again in awe at what I found. There are multiple interpretations of this phenomenon, but it is most commonly viewed as a spiritual sign. According to the Navajo and Hopi Native American tribes sunbows, or whirling rainbows, is considered to be a sign from the Creator, marking a time of great change or transition on the Earth. Some say it can be understood as a sign of the necessity to live a life in respect and harmony with all the creations that make life possible: plants, animals, the elements, and other human beings. There's even a prophecy given by these tribes:
The Whirling Rainbow – Prophecy
There will come a day when people of all races, colors, and creeds will put aside their differences. They will come together in love, joining hands in unification, to heal the Earth and all Her children. They will move over the Earth like a great Whirling Rainbow, bringing peace, understanding and healing everywhere they go. Many creatures thought to be extinct or mythical will resurface at this time; the great trees that perished will return almost overnight. All living things will flourish, drawing sustenance from the breast of our Mother, the Earth. The great spiritual Teachers who walked the Earth and taught the basics of the truths of the Whirling Rainbow Prophecy will return and walk amongst us once more, sharing their power and understanding with all. We will learn how to see and hear in a sacred manner. Men and women will be equals in the way the Creator intended them to be; all children will be safe anywhere they want to go. Elders will be respected and valued for their contributions to life. Their wisdom will be sought out. The whole Human race will be called The People and there will be no more war, sickness or hunger forever. 

Take the prophecy how you like. It may simply be an interpretation based on our imagination, and upon looking into it, sun halos aren't that uncommon (similar to double rainbows). However, this prophecy speaks of a utopian future, and talk of sun halos goes back thousands of years. What sticks out to me isn't the dream, but the seemingly universal feeling of wanting balance and harmony in all things. With how the world is in its current state, it would be nice if it were to come true in our near future. Thankfully, the world is making progress. Sexuality is becoming more open and less taboo in Western culture, women are making progress toward equality, people are becoming more free to express their identity how they like, etc.

What I took out of the experience is the feeling of peace and wanting to share that with others. In a way, the awe-inspiring nature of the whirling rainbow is what makes it special, not is rarity. It's how it influenced my ideas that's important. It helped inspire me to write for this blog. It made me forget about my worries; about the struggle of moving to a different country. It still surprises me sometimes that I've made this choice, but I'm happy I did.


                                                                                                                        Peace & Love

A day I'll hopefully remember for the rest of my life

Comments

  1. Do you have any experiences like this? Can you recall a moment that really influenced your direction in life?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment