Getting Back Up - YoM Day 354

Eleven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 354. Yesterday, I talked about starting with yourself in order to make real change. Today is a new day.
"Why do we fall, sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." - Alfred Pennyworth
Life is full of ups and downs. How we feel throughout the day all depends on how we choose to look at things. Sometimes that's easier said than done. It can be really hard to be positive when you feel like you got hit by a bus, or if life seems to have lost all of its color. No matter how hard you try sometimes it seems like you just can't. We all have these days and they suck. So what's a person to do?

Although I'm making progress in my life, that doesn't make me immune to bad days. Today, I woke up feeling a little dead inside. I did my morning routine with apathy and a sigh as I struggled to get through my morning. Thursdays (Japan time) are when I usually set aside some time to skype my parents. With nothing on my mind, I didn't have much to say, so I told them I wasn't feeling so hot and they understood. We talked about the weather, food, and other general things. Although it wasn't anything profound, just the simple act of speaking with my parents, who understand me more than anyone else, helped me feel better.

Our talk reminded me that if I ever fall, be it physically, emotionally, or situationally, we can always learn to pick ourselves back up. I've been so focused on my projects that I haven't been as social as I could be. Talking with my folks reminded me to not isolate myself so much. There's always something going on so maybe today's mood is my body's way of saying that I need to re-balance myself. In other words, instead of just letting myself feel "meh", actually doing something about my condition will help me feel better.

Even if you don't know what's wrong or what you should be doing, doing something - ANYTHING - is a good place to start. The worse you feel the harder it is to get out there and try things, so something as simple as checking in with your parents can be the reboot you need to get you back into your rhythm. You may not feel any different right away, but once you get started things get easier. The most important part is taking the first step.

If we don't do anything to change our condition, things will stay the same. This is especially important to remember when we're feeling the blues. When they say, "life is suffering," they mean that happiness is achieved through triumph over struggle. To get out of a rut you have to climb out of it. In the same way you can't fly without fighting gravity, so too can't we be happy without first overcoming our struggles. However, the moment we stop fighting we enable gravity to take over and bring us back down again. As we fall, we must get back up. Such is balance.

How do you pick yourself back up?

                                                                                                                   Peace
Sad
You might be in a dark place right now, but there's a world that's vibrant and colorful waiting for you to come out and explore it.

Comments

  1. When you've fallen, how do you pick yourself up? Leave a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment