Keep Pushing - YoM Day 329

Ten months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 329.   Yesterday, I talked about breaking out of the comfort zone being important to our growth. Today is a new day.
"You just keep pushing yourself harder and harder to achieve more and more - I don't think it's ever quite as glamorous as it appears on the outside." - Sean Parker
The new episode of Dragon Ball Super came out today and having grown up with the Dragon Ball series it's something I look forward to every week. One thing I love about the series is how it emphasizes how there's always something greater to strive for and pushing yourself past your limits to achieve new heights (the fights are also really awesome). This show is one reason I love martial arts and working out. When I'm at the gym I sometimes think about Goku's training and how I too need to keep pushing to get that last rep in order to feel satisfied with my training. If I'm not sore and wobbly by the end of a workout, I didn't do it right.

Getting out of your comfort zone is one thing, but in order to truly make progress you have to really push yourself and make yourself sweat. Whether it's exercise, work, or studying anything, if you're not struggling in some way that means you're not growing. When you struggle it means you still have something to learn/improve on and in breaking through those limitations and raising the bar you're proving to yourself that you can still go further beyond where you are now. Progress isn't always about results. Sometimes it's about what you're wiling to do and how you get it done.

That said, it's also about knowing what your limits are and knowing when to stop. Working too hard can lead to long-term damage and smaller gains (breaking down the muscles too much makes it harder for them to grow as they have to focus more on recovery), so you gotta find that sweet spot between not enough and going overboard. I might be super sore from my workouts, but if I feel sick I know that I need to take a step back and let myself properly recover. Pushing yourself to get stronger is good, but you don't just go run a marathon on willpower alone without any repercussions. You still have to prepare physically and mentally not matter who you are.

I may not be the best at anything, but I know that I still have a lot that I can do to get better and in taking the time and effort to make those improvements I've seen my life change so much. It may take time, but making those changes is so worth it and it couldn't have happened if I just casually let myself coast through life. It might suck sometimes, but suffering, like tough love, is there to keep us grounded and remind us of what we need to do. No excuses. It's okay if it's hard to do. It's supposed to be and overcoming it just makes the cake that much better when you finally get your hands on it. The more you do it, the easier it gets. If anything, you start welcoming it with a warm smile.

How can you push yourself to the next level?

                                                                                                                           Peace
push-ups
It might be hard starting out, but just keep doing it. You eventually get over it and it starts making you want to prove that you can do it. Show 'em what you're made of.

Comments

Post a Comment