Taking from our Experiences - YoM Day 327

Ten months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 327. Yesterday, I talked about digging deep to really understanding yourself. Today is a new day.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky
In reading up on Jung and depth psychology I've been reflecting a lot on specific moments in my life and the actions I've taken that have led me to where I am now. Walking down memory lane is always interesting because you end up getting a new perspective on it. It got me thinking about cause and effect.

It's funny - many of us chase after interesting stories and novelty whether it's through movies, books, video games, etc., yet our own story is interesting enough (and unique) if you think about it. I think that reflects how hard it really is to examine the self from an outside perspective. I know a lot of my history, but when I try to think of really vivid memories, I'd say a select few would come to mind. However, although I remember what happened, rarely do I really think about why things turned out the way they did. The one thing that came to mind during my reflections after realizing this was the ever-so popular question, "what if?"

Every choice has its consequences. Figuring out what those consequences are can be tricky though. I've caught myself thinking about what would happen had I done things differently, and although it won't change anything, it can serve as a lesson in history not to repeat. At the same time, getting too caught up in this train of thought causes doubt and hesitation. While I think it's important to be conscious of our actions, we can never be 100% sure of how things will play out all of the time, so we have to take some risks. Everything in life is a gamble, but I see self-reflection as a tool to help you calculate the odds. If I only think and never do, will I ever accomplish anything?

When it comes to making decisions, I've been known to think too deeply about the simplest things like what groceries to buy for the week to which shirt I like better. I think about everything and it drives some people crazy (sorrynotsorry). I think a lot of it has to do with me getting caught up in the what-ifs. Without getting too into the meta and trying to over analyze things, finding a way to keep it simple is the most practical approach. Whenever I'm unsure of something I think referencing my past experience is a good way to determine what to (and not) do, but it's best not to linger as what happened is already done and over with.

Like everything, there needs to be a balance, and I think learning to just do and think less is something for me to work on. Life will carry on with or without me and sometimes inaction is the biggest mistake we can make. Instead of waiting for the right opportunity or the perfect answer, I can also learn from experience and use that knowledge to help me in the future. This approach might be riskier, but it also comes with the benefit of being present for more opportunities. Sometimes it's about taking a leap of faith, learning from the experience, and taking that knowledge with you.


                                                                                                         Peace
Calculation
There's a risk and reward to everything. Sometimes it's best not to think too much about it and just see what happens.

Comments

  1. What shots will you take? How can you learn from those experiences?

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment