Putting yourself out there - YoM Day 223

Seven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 223. Yesterday, I talked about appreciating the simple things. Today is a new day.
"You put yourself out there in the truest way you can and hope others do the same. You'll connect or you won't, but you did what you could." - Chris Crutcher
I finished recording myself play a piano piece I've been working on for the last few months and it felt really good finally get to share the result of months of effort. I posted another video a few weeks back and these two videos are the first in about 10 years that I've shown myself playing to other people. Looking back it seems silly that I have something that I'm able to share with people yet I've spent so long not doing it because I was afraid to expose myself to judgment. I didn't want people to confirm my personal doubts, even if they might be baseless. I wanted to hide from people.

Sharing my hobbies has reflected in my life in a lot of ways. It's teaching me to be more open and authentic with people. By getting over my fear of being judged I'm showing people who I really am and that sends its own message: that I believe that I am good enough. It's like taking off the mask and feeling a refreshing breeze on your face. To me, that's something that's crucial when it comes to attaining what's truly valuable to us. It also allows other people to see the potential that we carry. When we fully believe in ourselves, others will, too. Becoming more comfortable with my playing is helping me believe in my own abilities and getting closer to becoming my ideal self. In other words, to conquer our insecurities we must face them openly and without hesitation.

I still get really nervous and self-conscious about my playing and although people say I'm good and whatnot, I let my personal expectations keep me from really accepting these compliments. Yet despite how hard I am on myself, it still felt nice knowing that I was able to accomplish something I set out to do. It also felt good being able to show people who I really am, and I can't wait to record my next project.

Now that I have some videos made I plan to do some editing to put in an intro and cut out excess footage, like me reaching for the camera and turning it off, and then I'll share them on youtube to kickoff my channel. Even if I don't make it as a youtuber, at least I can say that I tried. Before I can dream about making it big, it all starts with first putting myself out there and putting things off until tomorrow will never make that happen. Now that I've taken the first big steps, I can move on to my next big piece, share, keep learning, and the cycle will continue on toward bigger and greater things.

                                                                                                                      Peace
Putting yourself out there
Although vulnerable when exposed, high risk comes with high rewards. Let yourself be known, let yourself be free.

Comments

Post a Comment