YoM Day 113: do something silly

Yesterday, I talked about working toward becoming our ideal person. Today is a new day.
"'I see nobody on the road,' said Alice. 'I only wish I had such eyes,' the King remarked in a fretful tone. 'To be able to see Nobody! And at that distance too!'" - Lewis Carroll
Last night I hung out with my Japanese friends, who are also married business men with children. Despite the age difference, we had a few drinks (and then a few more), played some bar games, laughed, shared some stories, and sang some karaoke at an Okinawan bar with the locals. It was a fun night out to just enjoy ourselves and not give a shit.

The responsibilities that come with being an adult can be stressful. They make us really serious, which is stressful. In order to keep our sanity we need a break from being rational in order to vent the stress and cool down. What better way to do it than to let loose and do some silly shit? I like to sing in the shower and dance around in my underwear when I'm at home and it feels great. It lets me move my body without a care in the world. I'm just doing my thing and it's one of my favorite ways of relieving stress.

Some people like to pretend they're "too cool" for some things. While we all have our own interests, a lot of people end up holding themselves back from doing silly things out of fear of being judged or mocked. At the end of the day though, who really cares? So what if people laugh? You're providing free entertainment, laugh with them! Who cares if you can't dance or sing? Sing your heart out. Dance 'till your feet get sore.

Learning to let go and be silly is a great way to practice not caring how others view you. By learning to do things without worrying about being judged we're able to be more honest with ourselves and others. We become more genuine, and this frees us to do whatever we want to. The rush that comes with expressing yourself 100% is simply amazing. Enjoy every moment and just do you.

                                                                                                                                 Peace
something silly
No shame

Comments

Post a Comment