YoM Day 111: praying patience

Yesterday, I talked about doing the things we want to learn how to do. Today is a new day.
"The greatest prayer is patience." - The Buddha
One of the things Buddhism, as a philosophy, encourages is learning to let go of expectations. Patience is often called a virtue because it forces us to learn that things won't always go the way we want them to.

When I was applying for my teaching job in Japan I had to do a lot of waiting. After submitting my application I waited almost a month before hearing back. From there, I sent various forms and had to wait again before knowing when I'd conduct my interview. While waiting for the interview day to come I kept thinking "what if I don't get the job?"

Thinking about the possibilities, I thought about my options outside of teaching in Japan would be. I could've continued doing office work for physicians, I could've applied for a new job, I could've gone back to school, I could've given up entirely. The possibilities were endless and the wait helped me not be so nervous in my interview. Since I had time to consider my other options I was prepared for the possibility of failure. Although I really wanted it, I wasn't expecting to get the job anymore.

When we really want something badly enough it tends to make us desperate, which often makes us nervous and prone to making mistakes. By letting go of my expectations I was able to filter out the distraction of fearing failure, which helped me keep a cool head during my interviews. In a way, learning to not be so invested in being hired is likely what helped me get the job. From this perspective, letting go of my expectations helped me achieve my goal.

Creating change require us to take action; however, sometimes the best action we can take is to be patient. Imagine the praying mantis. It will stay completely still, waiting for the right moment to snag its prey. It will wait for hours, patiently waiting, for the perfect chance to secure its meal. One thing we can learn from the mantis is to learn how to spot those key opportunities that come before us and taking action when the time is right. It's all about finding the right balance.

                                                                                                                            Peace
praying mantis
The mantis represents balance in taking action and waiting for the right opportunities.

Comments

  1. How can patience help you achieve your goals? What do you need to be more patient with?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment