YoM Day 108: fly free

Yesterday, I talked about going with the flow and noticing the signs around us. Today is a new day.
"Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live." - Dorothy Thompson
When I was a teen I used to be too afraid to talk to a lot of people because I was afraid that I'd be judged. I remember being the type that would only talk to you if you came and approached me. Making the first step was uncomfortable for me and I couldn't get over it. As a result I missed out on a lot of potential friendships and I held myself back from letting others know who I was.

When I reflect on the times where I had the most fun in my life I always think of times where I said "fuck it" and just did what I wanted to do.  When applying for college I kept thinking about how much money I'd have to pay back after graduation and the possibility that I'd have wasted my time. I didn't want to graduate not using my degree. I thought that I would feel guilty wasting my time and money on something I might not end up using. Before coming to Japan I was worried that I'd end up regretting my decision to move here. I kept thinking "what if I end up getting fired" or "what if I'm not able to pay my bills" and those thoughts made me hesitate to apply to become a teacher.

We worry as a defensive mechanism and our doubts are completely understandable. However, not matter how much we think there are always things that come up that we might not have thought about. Nobody can predict the future with 100% accuracy, so we sometimes have to take a leap of faith in order to get anywhere. Rather than letting fears or doubts convince me I shouldn't do something, I decided that I should make a gamble and so far things have turned out great. The best part is that it was my own decision and so it tells me that I'm capable of independence. Feels like one step closer to freedom.

Even if I get hurt along the way I'm following my own path and I'm always learning something from the experience.

                                                                                                                     Peace
freedom
I'm learning to spread my wings and fly free

Comments

Post a Comment