YoM Day 106: seeing the spirit

Yesterday, I talked about facing our fears. Today is a new day. 
"Not what the eye sees, but that which makes the eye see, that is the Spirit." - The Upanishads
As a psychologist, I strongly believe in the connection between the mind and the world around us. Our perception is everything. It influences whether we see a situation as good or bad, how we view ourselves, and how we view the world. Everything we sense comes in the form of electrical signals in our brain. The soul then, from my understanding, would be how we interpret those electrical signals into a way that makes sense to us and allows us to survive. We'll still see the sky as "blue" and things in similar fashions due to cultural influences, but how you perceive the world and how I perceive it are likely to be very different despite the many similarities.

The world is a reflection of ourselves. On days that we're sad the world tends to look more dull. In contrast, when we're happy and in a good mood we tend to see things in a brighter light. These views in turn influence what/how we sense the stimuli around us. It's also a lot more than this.

In practicing mindfulness, noticing how we're perceiving things at the moment tells us a great deal on how we're feeling and what sort of mental state we're in. If I notice one day that it seems really bright but I have no problems adjusting to the sunlight that tells me that I'm in a pretty good mood (mentally and physically). This tells me that my life condition is in a pretty good state. I'm healthy. Other days when I feel like I can't complete a workout, I'm less motivated to do things, and the world starts seeming dull, it's a sign that something's wrong. Reflecting on what that something might be helps me understand my problems a little more and helps me see what I can be doing to feel happier.

That's how I'm learning to find happiness. Not by searching for something outside, but instead looking within and seeing how my own condition is affecting the world around me. I look to the spirit.

                                                                                                                              Peace
seeing the spirit
Perhaps what the Buddha learned to see was himself in everything

Comments

  1. How does the world you see around you represent your inner condition? Your spirit?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment