YoM Day 77: kind to nature

Yesterday, I talked about taking risks to grow. Today is a new day.
"Not to hurt our humble brethren (the animals) is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission: to be of service to them whenever they require it. If you have people who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have people who will deal likewise with their fellow humans." - St. Francis of Assisi
I like animals. Yesterday I took a stroll in a local park and saw some turtles. They saw me and waddled toward me in the edges of their pond. Although other animals have been shown to be manipulative, their motivations are much more simple compared to ours and I like how peacefully they exist despite how cruel this world can be. They remind me that I depend too much on the modern amenities that have been afforded to me.

When I was younger I knew people who were cruel to animals. Our actions say a lot about our personality and their cruelty extended beyond their treatment of animals. They were selfish, narcissistic, and treated their fellow man without remorse. They were the type of people who would blatantly use others for their own benefit. No bueno, man.

Animals can naturally sense danger and usually won't approach or will bare their fangs (or whatever they have) toward anything they're wary of. This instinct helps them (even us) survive. As a rule I'm generally more cautious of people who either don't like animals. This is especially true for people that animals don't like being around. When a dog goes from being super sweet one minute to berserk that's a good red-flag that something's up. In the same way that many cultures relied on animals as spiritual guides in the past, nature guides us in many ways. They're looking out for us, so we should have their backs, too.

                                                                                                                    Peace
animal friends
We've got a friend in other animals

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: notice how you've been conditioned to exclude yourself from the shelter of compassion and pity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment