YoM Day 8: Go to it

Yesterday, we talked about life being about how we look at it. Today is a new day.
"You yourselves must make the exertion. The Buddhas are only teachers." - The Buddha
Life doesn't believe in hand-outs, even if it may sometimes seem like it. Coming from a Buddhist upbringing myself, I believe the main message to take away is that it is ultimately up to us to make our dreams come true. We are the ones that manifest what comes in our lives. To me a big part of being enlightened is finding your purpose and becoming centered.

When I was young my mother used to ask me what I wanted in life. I remember telling her that I wanted to be amazing. I still didn't know exactly what I wanted to do, but I knew I wanted to do it well. She worked hard to ensure I had as many opportunities for me to try and learn new things. She told me that if I wanted my dreams to come true I had to work for it. I couldn't just pray for it to happen. I had to work hard, too. It's only these last few years that her words really reached me and I'm thankful every day for what my parents did for me.

Wanna create a masterpiece? Nobody but you can make that happen. We shouldn't depend on others for help. Never except any hand-outs. You gotta go get it. You gotta get yourself out there and keep reaching until you can finally grasp whatever it is that you want. You gotta put in the blood, sweat, and time required to become an expert in any field. You have to endure the pain of countless failures made from trial and error before everything starts falling into place.

I think the second part of the quote means that merely sitting at the top isn't enough. Life is also about giving back to others. Like the teacher who passes their wisdom on to the next generation, the Buddha, or someone who finds their purpose not only puts everything into what they're doing, but true mastery comes when we can pass our gifts to others.

I liken this to helping someone study for a test. If you can teach someone else how to solve a problem in simple terms it shows that you have a fuller understanding of the material. If you can't teach someone else, then perhaps your understanding is lacking. You may know HOW to do it, but the WHY isn't quite solidified in your mind. It may be small, but the difference is like night and day.

"If you want something, go get it. Period." - Chris Gardner


                                                                                                           Peace

Go to your dream
Whatever the dream, reach out and go to it.

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: Remind yourself that no matter how many maps you read, you must make the journey. Remind yourself often, that you are equal to the task - there's nothing you can't accomplish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment