Giving Support

I was talking with an artist I met through deviantArt about how in Greenland people don't go to jail if they commit crimes like theft or even murder. Instead, she mentioned how they are given psychiatric aid by therapists who help identify the root of a person's problems and how to help them assimilate with society. Being from America, where people are typically thrown in prison to rot when they commit such crimes, I thought it was a very interesting how different the cultural norms were.

That being said, Greenland is not without its problems. I was told that break-ins are still quite common and that the locals often take drinking too far and get into trouble. I also imagine that similar to the healthcare in the states, there are too few therapists to meet the demand of the people who are in need of help. As a result, I think many are left without any guidance and end up repeating their mistakes. So while they have a good idea, there are other things preventing things from fully working out. Of course, no place is perfect, however, it made me wonder how such a system would turn out in more densely populated countries.

During my studies in abnormal psychology a big problem I had with the curriculum is how much treatment focused on stigmatizing and "correcting" behavior rather than learning to adapt and accept people for who they are. It assumed that there is such a thing as "correct" behavior. This is now reflected as "political correctness" in modern society. In the higher courses, it changed its focus on addressing that "normal" is a construct that we create within our cultures but didn't seem to do much in teaching how we can as a society learn to let go of pursuing "normal". We've focused too much on trying to be perfect instead of embracing who we are.

There are plenty of studies on the effects of positive reinforcement and recovery, yet we don't practice what we preach because "it's easier" to sedate people with psychotropic chemicals that keep others "safe" from harm. I saw it as bullshit. If we are to have a standard for behavior I would like it to be expressing ourselves freely without the pressure of having to follow an ideal for what is "normal".

Thinking back to our talk, I think that our society places too much importance on being "normal". Too often do I see instances where people judge others for their actions/beliefs instead of trying to empathize and understand their perspective. Although ancient philosophies and belief systems often mention being compassionate and accepting of everyone I think we're now doing the opposite and place too much importance on ourselves.

I've recently started to produce music and although I still have a lot to learn my friends and family have chosen to support me instead of put me down. Instead of saying "dude, you're never gonna get big why bother?" they're saying "not bad, keep it up". Their actions are a gift that is encouraging me to believe in myself. Such people are considered your support network. Those who have support networks tend to believe in themselves, have higher confidence, and that positivity translates into everything: better health, better performance, better mood, being able to cope with loss easier, etc. These benefits in turn help prevent so many illnesses that would've otherwise taken people who were negative all of the time.

When looking at studies of cultures that treat people with mental instabilities with positive reinforcement instead of stigma, these people are MUCH happier, the locals aren't afraid and are very supportive; and the society as a whole radiates with color. When thinking of people who that have the exact opposite approach toward people who don't fit the "standard", I see a lot of grey.

I think the greatest therapy is simply having people around you whom you can express yourselves openly and freely. One way to find them is to do something you love to do and you'll come across people who share a similar mindset. Those people will likely become some of the closest people you'll meet because you're not trying to cater to each others' interests. They are your natural support network. You already share the same interests so you can just be and enjoy life together. You help each other grow through your passion. By being supported, following your dreams comes naturally.

Having the gift of support is a priceless asset toward living freely. I think this world is wonderful, but if more of us gave support to those around us I can see the world being that much more amazing for everyone.

                                                                                                                 Peace

Support each other
The Japanese kanji (Chinese character) for person (hito) represents one person being supported by another. Simple and poetic, it represents how we are much stronger when we work together.

Comments

  1. Where I work I try to support my students through encouragement, faith in their abilities, and by doing what I can to help them understand English.

    What's one way you can support others?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment