YoM Day 75: give from the heart

Yesterday, I talked about being thankful. Today is a new day.
"Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
In Japan, it's taught that it's good to share with others and because the country is primarily group-oriented the idea is often put into practice. Working with kids and seeing how differently they act from adults is so interesting. My students sometimes share their snacks with me and it makes me happy that they give away the snacks they love so freely. They also share with their classmates, which would make even the Grinch smile (in fact it was children who made his heart grow three sizes).

One thing I've been practicing more recently is hospitality at my home. When guests comes over I've made efforts to serve tea and some snacks. They never ask or expect them, nor do I need to go to such lengths, but I do it because I want to. Sharing is caring and it's more fun for me to cook when I can eat with people you care about. It's also more fun to eat good food when I'm able to share that experience with others.

We become and attract what we think about. I used to be worried that I'd be taken advantage of, lose out on a lot of money and not get anything in return (namely appreciation), etc.. I felt really insecure about it because I'd assume that people always had an ulterior motive. I figured, "oh, they're just being nice to me because they want something from me" and that's a toxic way of thinking. It made it hard for me to open up to others and it made me miserable.

I eventually realized that none of that mattered. When we let go of expectations we realize that those things would happen regardless of whether we're careful or not. If anything, we tend to attract such negative things when we worry about them. It also makes us miserable because we learn to assume the worst in people by default. Kind of like Murphy's Law. However, the more I've done things because I wanted to and not for any expected reward, the more things have naturally become better.

My life's by no means perfect, but it feels good being able to give.

                                                                                                                       Peace
Sharing sushi
There are more smiles to go around when we share life's joys with those around us

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: give something with all your heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment