YoM Day 86: just in case

Yesterday, I talked about changes in our perspective. Today is a new day.
"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - James Yorke
Chess is one of my favorite games to play. It's one that requires to you be able to plan ahead and adapt to new situations as they arise. 

I chatted with one of my friends the other day and they're getting ready to graduate with their college degree! I was super happy to hear that they're nearing the final parts of their educational journey. However, their success highly depends on their final. If they bomb it, then it might mean another year of school. They're very confident that things will turn out alright and I believe them fully that they will succeed. However, WHAT IF things didn't turn out the way he wants them to? What if he bombs that final? What then?

It's always a good idea to have a plan B for everything. Life doesn't always want to go along with what we have planned out, so being prepared for things to go wrong is never a bad idea. One of the reasons Batman is a BOSS is because he makes contingency plans for everything for when things go wrong, and trust me, they WILL go wrong eventually.

Whether it was the college I originally wanted to attend, not being able to enlist with the military due to my vision, failing my first interview for a job overseas, or even past relationships I've had, my life has been filled with dozens of failures. With each one, however, I've learned to adapt and change my course. I had to if I wanted to keep moving forward. I've been saving up money in case things don't work out for me here in Japan so I can go back to the states at any time and start over if I need to. That's one of my back-up plans. I could also just get another teaching job here in Japan and use the money I've saved up to help me get by while I'm waiting to be hired.

The possibilities are endless with all of us. Some of the best things in my life have happened after I've failed at something and picked myself back up. Having a specific plan in mind for when things go awry just makes getting back up easier. As the saying goes, "time is money", and when you become good at coming up with alternative plans you're able to move on faster.

Today I'll be thinking about what I'll do in case I don't want to teach anymore. Just in case.

                                                                                                                     Peace
Checkmate
Expect the unexpected.

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: write down a plan B for your life. Maybe it hasn't been acknowledged?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment