YoM Day 85: changes in perspective

Yesterday, I talked about change. Today is a new day.
"Things do not change, we change." - Henry David Thorean
Although it's true that we don't change fundamentally, there are many things about our life that we do change. It could be our hairstyle, our fashion, who we hang out with, and even our daily routines. Although I'm still the same person, I also live a very different life from how I lived a few years ago.

Our perception shapes everything. How our day goes, how great a gift something is, our mood, etc. As we change our daily routines and preferences in life we shape a different world for ourselves. I used to hate (despise) running as I was younger and doing track. I didn't practice and thought I would be better off doing something less heavy on my heart.

Now that I'm older and have been focusing more on my health I see the benefits of running and have learned to appreciate it more. I used to focus so much on that bad feeling (while running) that I would completely miss the sense of relief and relaxation that came afterwards once I caught my breath, cooled down, and sipped on a nice cold beverage. It feels great and makes all of that suffering totally worth it! Yeah, it's still hard on my heart, but my desire to be healthy has made me view that heaviness as a hurdle to overcome (I also motivate myself by thinking about that post-run drink). Running still isn't my favorite thing to do, but as I've changed physically so has my mental outlook on exercise in general. It's this change in perception that makes all of the difference in whether we choose to be positive or negative in our daily lives.

It's a beautiful day, so I think I'll be going on that run today.

                                                                                                                        Peace
People change
We sometimes change like the seasons; but autumn is still autumn and we are still ourselves.

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: consider how your changes have resulted in a changed perception of things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment